Roma?

  • Mark Ranchik
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
      What do you make of this article?

      http://www.ihf-hr.org/viewbinary/viewhtml.php?doc_id=5367

      Text included here for ease of reading:

      Roma in Slovakia: Discrimination, Inequality, Neglect

      Bratislava and Vienna, 16 March 2004 - In a press conference today,
      the International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights (IHF) and the
      Slovak Helsinki Committee (SHV) expressed their concerns at the
      failure of the Slovak government to respect human rights principles
      and standards before and in the context of the series of riots
      recently conducted by members of the Roma community in Central and
      Eastern Slovakia.

      The riots emerged in February, in reaction to the entry into force of
      a new Slovak law on social benefits (Amendment no. 45/2004 to the Act
      no. 195/1998 on Social Aid). The IHF and the SHV are concerned that
      parts of this law have a clearly discriminatory intent, such as a
      provision limiting financial help to large families, which in
      Slovakia are mostly present among the Roma community. These families
      would see their benefits reduced after the fourth child -- a highly
      questionable, discriminatory policy.

      The IHF and the SHV stressed the failure of the state, over the last
      decade, to appropriately address widespread discrimination against
      the Roma population, in spite of expectations that improvements would
      be brought before the country's entry into the European Union.

      No significant steps have been undertaken to develop a comprehensive
      strategy vis-à-vis the problems of the large Slovak Roma community,
      and to address the growing anti-Roma sentiment that has followed the
      February events. "Discrimination, inequality, and neglect of the Roma
      question continue, while the authorities concentrate their energies
      into countering the alleged damage caused by the Roma on Slovakia's
      image abroad", said Aaron Rhodes, IHF Executive Director.

      Discrimination against the Roma population in Slovakia has been
      rampant for many years, and was only exacerbated by the new law.
      Racial segregation, including depriving Roma from residence permits
      in a number of Slovak towns and other unofficial measures carried out
      by local authorities and apartment owners, have led to the increased
      isolation of Roma in slum settlements lacking the minimum modern
      utilities. The extremely high unemployment rate, which the Slovak
      authorities often put on account of the "Roma culture" and other
      stereotypes, is largely due to widespread racial discrimination, with
      e.g. local employment offices accepting to post job announcements
      stating that Roma would not be considered. The practice of
      segregating Roma pupils in special neighbourhood schools or placing
      them in schools for children with developmental disabilities remains
      a burning issue raised regularly by the European Roma Rights Centre,
      an IHF cooperating organisation.

      Concerned about reports of abuse committed by the large police and
      military forces deployed in the context of the February riots, the
      IHF and the SHC are calling upon the state to carry out proper,
      independent investigations into these abuses. The case of the death
      of Radoslav Puky is of particular concern for both organisations,
      which are urging the authorities to carry out proper investigations
      into the circumstances of the death and to establish an independent
      committee in charge of the civil supervision of the investigative
      results.

      Urgent steps must be undertaken by the authorities to address the
      increasing intolerance within the majority Slovak population towards
      Roma people.

      For more information:
      Aaron Rhodes, IHF Executive Director: +43-1-408 88 22 or +43-676-635
      6612
      Ingrid Baumannova, SHC Executive Director: +421-2-5296 8875
      Henriette Schroeder, IHF Press Officer: +43-676-725 4829
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
        I will think more highly of the critics when they open their own
        borders to the free transit & settlement of Roma. Until that time
        they are running an academic exercise, criticizing the Slovaks for
        not solving problems they, themselves are not willing to face.

        Since Slovakia wishes to join the EU, then let the EU open the
        borders to free transit for free citizens and at the same time insist
        that Slovakia meet minimum standards of EU. Then criticism will be
        justified.

        I see the article as pure propaganda for a perceived cause.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ranchik" <ranchik@p...>

      • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
          Hi all, I am curious about this e-mail that was about the Romas. I believe
          they are what we have all been told as Gypsies, correct? What I don't
          understand is the culture involved. Can anyone give me any websites or
          general information of what is going on? I know little about the culture in
          the Czech Republic and Slovakia and would appreciate any information that
          could be given or any websites that could offer some insight. I figure that
          any information might be able to help me with tracking down my husband's
          family and the conditions that they lived in during the 1800's while they
          lived in Bohemia. Thanks.

          Jackie

          wrote:
> [...]
          > independent investigations into these abuses. The case of the death
          > of Radoslav Puky is of particular concern for both organisations,
          > which are urging the authorities to carry out proper investigations
          > into the circumstances of the death and to establish an independent
          > committee in charge of the civil supervision of the investigative
          > results.
          >
          > Urgent steps must be undertaken by the authorities to address the
          > increasing intolerance within the majority Slovak population
          towards
          > Roma people.
          >

          > For more information:
          > Aaron Rhodes, IHF Executive Director: +43-1-408 88 22 or +43-676-
          635
          > 6612
          > Ingrid Baumannova, SHC Executive Director: +421-2-5296 8875
          > Henriette Schroeder, IHF Press Officer: +43-676-725 4829

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Paula
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
            ---Roms were originally from India from what I understand. They
            migrated across Europe and have their own language.
            Does your husband have family in Kansas? I went to school with some
            Kadlecs.
            paula

          • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29, 2004
              Hi Paula, thanks for the input on the Roms. I think that my husband's
              family is mostly in Wisconsin but I'm not sure if there are cousins in
              Kansas. His whole family is kind of one big mystery to the both of us and
              the rest of the family, too. :-) Again, thanks for the input.

              Jackie

              <mep@t...> wrote:
              > Hi all, I am curious about this e-mail that was about the Romas. I
              believe
              > they are what we have all been told as Gypsies, correct? What I
              don't
              > understand is the culture involved. Can anyone give me any
              websites or
              > general information of what is going on? I know little about the
              culture in
              > the Czech Republic and Slovakia and would appreciate any
              information that
              > could be given or any websites that could offer some insight. I
              figure that
              > any information might be able to help me with tracking down my
              husband's
              > family and the conditions that they lived in during the 1800's
              while they
              > lived in Bohemia. Thanks.
              >
              > Jackie

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Paula
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
                ---I went to school with Kathy & Jodie Kadlec, their parents are
                Gerald and Joann. Gerald died quite some time ago. It's not a
                common name around here. Good luck with your search.