Bridgeport

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2000
      Do you know, Maura, if Bridgeport was a port in the early 19th century, so
      that our Slovak ancestors who arrived there eventually may not have first
      passed through New York City?

      Andrea
    • Nicholas Trahan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2000
        It is true that Bridgeport was a port town in the early 19th Century, but
        all people coming to this area passed through New York. I had been told as
        a child that my great-grandparents came directly into Bridgeport, but after
        finding their papers at the Nat. Archives in Boston, I found they came in
        through NY. Incidently, Brigeport didn't become a city until 1850.

        >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
        >
        >Do you know, Maura, if Bridgeport was a port in the early 19th century, so
        >that our Slovak ancestors who arrived there eventually may not have first
        >passed through New York City?
        >
        >Andrea

        >Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in
        >forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free coupons!

      • Maura Petzolt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2000
          Some ships -did- come directly into Bridgeport. The film # to use to
          find the microfilms of arrivals is on my Hints page, under Other US
          ports.

          My understanding tho is that those arrivals counted for very few of the
          many new residents to Bridgeport. I believe one reason is that so many
          ships came into NY, and larger ones. I have an old newspaper photo
          framed of a schooner bringing lumber from Europe into Bridgeport harbor
          c. 1900 or so. Many times those commercial ships also sold a few spaces
          for passengers, but nothing like the massive ships (and schooners in the
          earlier days) that came into NY and Boston.

          Many smaller US ports had arrivals from Europe. Again, they are listed
          on my Hints page. Much would depend on where the person was going, and
          what ship they could get on that went nearest where they wanted to end
          up.

          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching