Re: Help with name

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Joann Pasquariello" <joannp1@a...> wrote:
      > Hi Group:
      >

      > I hoping you all will be able to help me.
      >
      > My grandfather Alex (Elek) Petsko (Pecka, Peczko) was married before he married my grandmother. He and his first wife had a
      child in Hybernia, NJ, May 8, 1911. That child eventually went back to Vulshinki, Ung County and immigrated back to the US
      around 1931.

      > The first wife's name was Mary Slivics. I have the Baptism certificate from St Michaels GC Church in Passaic, NJ. The spelling
      was SLIVICS. I cannot find any information on the Ellis Island site and no other Slivics listed anywhere, is it possible that there
      could be another spelling used on the Ellis Island site that I can't find?

      > I have also seen it spelled Slyvych.
      > Any ideas on what to look for on the Ellis Island site?
      >
      > Also, is there a way to check and see when and how the cousin got bake to Vulshinki and who took her there?
      >
      > Thank You,

      Vulshinka, Vil'synky was a Carpatho-Rusyn village now located in the Ukraine
      and formerly located in old Hungarian Ung megye..
      Slyvych looks like a surname spelling transliterated from the Cyrillic
      alphabet.

      Hungarians had a surname ending -ics which was not native to Hungarian
      but a phonetic adaptation i.e. written -ics pron. ick.
      Slivics looks like such a surname spelling.
      In Magyar the letter sz is pron. s.
      The letter cs was pron. ch ,ts.
      The letter cs pron. as ts was eliminatesd in 1910.
      Or perhaps it was spelled Szlivicz ?

      Or, the surname was spelled with the Slovak diacritic letter c^ = ch.

      Frank K