Spisska Zup

  • malyposluchac
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
      Has anyone heard of a village/city/town by the name of Spisska Zup?
      My great-great grandfather (surname of Skapik) was supposedly born
      there or in Kosice, Austria-Hungary.
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
        No I have not; however, I am researching a town VERY near where you are speaking -- so please don't be shy about what you discover -- my town would now be called Brezina which was called Kolbas -- the closest large town would be Kosice and it is in County Zemplin/Zemplen. Does anyone know how to contact the local government to ask about the history and/or churches in County Zemplin/Zemplen?

        Thanks and good luck.
        Caye

        malyposluchac <musiced_2003@...> wrote:
        Has anyone heard of a village/city/town by the name of Spisska Zup?
        My great-great grandfather (surname of Skapik) was supposedly born
        there or in Kosice, Austria-Hungary.

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
          Dear little listener,
          Spisska Zupa is Spis county, not a town.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          Has anyone heard of a village/city/town by the name of Spisska Zup?
          My great-great grandfather (surname of Skapik) was supposedly born
          there or in Kosice, Austria-Hungary.

          http://www.eset.sk

        • Caye Caswick

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
              At 07:22 PM 3/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:
              >Has anyone heard of a village/city/town by the name of Spisska Zup?
              >My great-great grandfather (surname of Skapik) was supposedly born
              >there or in Kosice, Austria-Hungary.

              I believe Spisska zupa is Spis County. Kosice was in Abuj-Torna zupa.

              John M

              >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John M,
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
                At 07:22 PM 3/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                >Has anyone heard of a village/city/town by the name of Spisska Zup?
                >My great-great grandfather (surname of Skapik) was supposedly born
                >there or in Kosice, Austria-Hungary.

                For a large map of Szepes (Sois)zupa (1912) go to
                http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg . Kasa (now Kosice) is in
                the north center of the Abuj-Torna map
                http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/abauj-t.jpg . It is very close to
                the borders of both Saros and Szepes zupa. As a result, the village you
                are looking for may be in what was Spis county but near Kosice.

                John M
              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 14, 2004
                  Caye,
                  I once wrote a letter to the Slovak Army and asked them about a small town
                  that was demolished in 1952. they sent to me a book about that particular part
                  of the country. it was all in Slovak, but I believe that you understand some
                  Slovak. The Army office which sent the material was extremely gracious.
                  Noreen

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 15, 2004
                    Noreen:

                    Great idea -- I'll give that a try -- I don't speak it, but I'm as good as anyone at babble on the internet -- so I'm not afraid to do my homework.

                    Caye

                    nhasior@... wrote:
                    Caye,
                    I once wrote a letter to the Slovak Army and asked them about a small town
                    that was demolished in 1952. they sent to me a book about that particular part
                    of the country. it was all in Slovak, but I believe that you understand some
                    Slovak. The Army office which sent the material was extremely gracious.
                    Noreen

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Do you Yahoo!?