RE: [S-R] Words of Encouragement for those who hit the "Brick Wall"

  • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
      Hi Elizabeth. I know that my husband's great-great-great-grandfather's name
      was Simon (or Siman) Kadlec. He was born in 1849 in Bohemia, but there is
      some difficulty in finding what country they came from. He was married to
      Mary and they eventually settled in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I know that they
      were buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Milwaukee, but that is all I know.
      So, I don't have a whole lot of information to go with here. ANY help would
      be greatly appreciated however! :-) Thank you in advance!

      Jackie

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
        Jackie

        I have not found much, but here it is:

        1910 Census Roll 1802 Book 2, page 43b 10th ward, Milwaukee

        Kedlac, Simon, b. Dec 1849 Bohemia, married 25 years, emigrated 1893
        Maria, b. Dec 1852, Bohemia, em. 1893
        Joseph, b. Oct 1881, born Bohemia, em. 1893
        Frank, May 1899, b. Wisconsin

        1910 roll 1723, Book 1, page 98 3rd ward, Milwaukee

        Kedlac, Simon, naturalized citizen
        Maria
        Frank

        Ellis Island

        Kedlac ??? married female, age 37,
        Kedlac, Josef, age 11
        Maria, age 5

        All
        Ethnicity - Bohemia
        Arrival - 31 Dec. 1894
        Ship Wittekind
        Departure - Bremen, Germany

        This is probably them. I didn't find Simon, but his name may have been
        misspelled. I would suggest that your next step would be to look for the
        Declaration of Intent or Naturalization record for Simon (or Joseph, if he was not a
        minor child) which should be located either in the county courthouse or the
        state archives. He could not have become a citizen until he had been here 5
        years, so your search would be narrowed to between 1898, when he would have become
        eligible, and 1910, when he was a citizen. I could not read the notation for
        citizenship in the 1900 census.

        Good luck

        Elizabeth

        P.S. I found a Simon Kedlac on the World Family Tree who appears to be yours,
        and I can get a contact name from Genealogy, unless it was you who put him
        there, in which case I won't bother. It showed Simon's parents and Joseph and
        Magdelina. No accurate information regarding dates.

      • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 13, 2004
          Elizabeth, you are a true angel! Thank you so very much for this, I can't
          express my appreciation enough! You did so much, I can't thank you enough!
          Thank you, thank you thank you!

          Jackie