RE: [S-R] Words of Encouragement for those who hit the "Brick Wall"

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2004
      At 06:22 PM 3/7/2004 -0600, you wrote:

      >Hello everyone. I guess that I have hit the proverbial brick wall as well.
      >I am researching my husband's side of the family, which is the Kadlec side,
      >and I was curious if anyone could offer any words of wisdom? I know that it
      >is a common name, but I couldn't find any ports of entry (ie Ellis Island
      >and other Eastern United States sea ports)... Does anyone know if maybe
      >this name was spelled differently than it is currently, or how is it spelled
      >in Czech maybe?

      I believe you have the correct spelling in Czech. What town were they
      from? If they applied for citizenship, the name of their town and the ship
      they arrived on would be on their Declaration of Intent. What was the time
      period of their immigration? There are 159 Kadlec listed in the EIDB.

      John M

      > Anyone who has any advice on how to go about finding where
      >they came in at America would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Actually,
      >any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! :-)
      >
      >Jackie

    • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
        Hi Elizabeth. I know that my husband's great-great-great-grandfather's name
        was Simon (or Siman) Kadlec. He was born in 1849 in Bohemia, but there is
        some difficulty in finding what country they came from. He was married to
        Mary and they eventually settled in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I know that they
        were buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Milwaukee, but that is all I know.
        So, I don't have a whole lot of information to go with here. ANY help would
        be greatly appreciated however! :-) Thank you in advance!

        Jackie

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
          Jackie

          I have not found much, but here it is:

          1910 Census Roll 1802 Book 2, page 43b 10th ward, Milwaukee

          Kedlac, Simon, b. Dec 1849 Bohemia, married 25 years, emigrated 1893
          Maria, b. Dec 1852, Bohemia, em. 1893
          Joseph, b. Oct 1881, born Bohemia, em. 1893
          Frank, May 1899, b. Wisconsin

          1910 roll 1723, Book 1, page 98 3rd ward, Milwaukee

          Kedlac, Simon, naturalized citizen
          Maria
          Frank

          Ellis Island

          Kedlac ??? married female, age 37,
          Kedlac, Josef, age 11
          Maria, age 5

          All
          Ethnicity - Bohemia
          Arrival - 31 Dec. 1894
          Ship Wittekind
          Departure - Bremen, Germany

          This is probably them. I didn't find Simon, but his name may have been
          misspelled. I would suggest that your next step would be to look for the
          Declaration of Intent or Naturalization record for Simon (or Joseph, if he was not a
          minor child) which should be located either in the county courthouse or the
          state archives. He could not have become a citizen until he had been here 5
          years, so your search would be narrowed to between 1898, when he would have become
          eligible, and 1910, when he was a citizen. I could not read the notation for
          citizenship in the 1900 census.

          Good luck

          Elizabeth

          P.S. I found a Simon Kedlac on the World Family Tree who appears to be yours,
          and I can get a contact name from Genealogy, unless it was you who put him
          there, in which case I won't bother. It showed Simon's parents and Joseph and
          Magdelina. No accurate information regarding dates.

        • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 13, 2004
            Elizabeth, you are a true angel! Thank you so very much for this, I can't
            express my appreciation enough! You did so much, I can't thank you enough!
            Thank you, thank you thank you!

            Jackie