Re: [S-R] Words of Encouragement for those who hit the "Brick Wall"

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7 5:57 PM
      Jackie

      I would suggest that you try to find the Declaration of Intent, filed in the
      county courthouse of residence at the time of application for citizenship. It
      frequently contains a great deal of useful information. Do you know what
      year they came? That can have a great bearing on where the ship information
      might be found. If they are on the 1920 census, the year of immigration should be
      listed, as well as whether or not they have become citizens. Sometimes, the
      Declarations of Intent are also contained in the State Archives. If you can
      provide some more specific information, such as full names, ages, place of
      residence, etc, I would be happy to poke around some.

      Elizabeth

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7 6:22 PM
        At 06:22 PM 3/7/2004 -0600, you wrote:

        >Hello everyone. I guess that I have hit the proverbial brick wall as well.
        >I am researching my husband's side of the family, which is the Kadlec side,
        >and I was curious if anyone could offer any words of wisdom? I know that it
        >is a common name, but I couldn't find any ports of entry (ie Ellis Island
        >and other Eastern United States sea ports)... Does anyone know if maybe
        >this name was spelled differently than it is currently, or how is it spelled
        >in Czech maybe?

        I believe you have the correct spelling in Czech. What town were they
        from? If they applied for citizenship, the name of their town and the ship
        they arrived on would be on their Declaration of Intent. What was the time
        period of their immigration? There are 159 Kadlec listed in the EIDB.

        John M

        > Anyone who has any advice on how to go about finding where
        >they came in at America would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Actually,
        >any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! :-)
        >
        >Jackie

      • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11 12:58 AM
          Hi Elizabeth. I know that my husband's great-great-great-grandfather's name
          was Simon (or Siman) Kadlec. He was born in 1849 in Bohemia, but there is
          some difficulty in finding what country they came from. He was married to
          Mary and they eventually settled in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I know that they
          were buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Milwaukee, but that is all I know.
          So, I don't have a whole lot of information to go with here. ANY help would
          be greatly appreciated however! :-) Thank you in advance!

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 11 5:34 AM
            Jackie

            I have not found much, but here it is:

            1910 Census Roll 1802 Book 2, page 43b 10th ward, Milwaukee

            Kedlac, Simon, b. Dec 1849 Bohemia, married 25 years, emigrated 1893
            Maria, b. Dec 1852, Bohemia, em. 1893
            Joseph, b. Oct 1881, born Bohemia, em. 1893
            Frank, May 1899, b. Wisconsin

            1910 roll 1723, Book 1, page 98 3rd ward, Milwaukee

            Kedlac, Simon, naturalized citizen
            Maria
            Frank

            Ellis Island

            Kedlac ??? married female, age 37,
            Kedlac, Josef, age 11
            Maria, age 5

            All
            Ethnicity - Bohemia
            Arrival - 31 Dec. 1894
            Ship Wittekind
            Departure - Bremen, Germany

            This is probably them. I didn't find Simon, but his name may have been
            misspelled. I would suggest that your next step would be to look for the
            Declaration of Intent or Naturalization record for Simon (or Joseph, if he was not a
            minor child) which should be located either in the county courthouse or the
            state archives. He could not have become a citizen until he had been here 5
            years, so your search would be narrowed to between 1898, when he would have become
            eligible, and 1910, when he was a citizen. I could not read the notation for
            citizenship in the 1900 census.

            Good luck

            Elizabeth

            P.S. I found a Simon Kedlac on the World Family Tree who appears to be yours,
            and I can get a contact name from Genealogy, unless it was you who put him
            there, in which case I won't bother. It showed Simon's parents and Joseph and
            Magdelina. No accurate information regarding dates.

          • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 13 12:44 PM
              Elizabeth, you are a true angel! Thank you so very much for this, I can't
              express my appreciation enough! You did so much, I can't thank you enough!
              Thank you, thank you thank you!

              Jackie