RE: [S-R] Words of Encouragement for those who hit the "Brick Wall"

  • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2004
      Hello everyone. I guess that I have hit the proverbial brick wall as well.
      I am researching my husband's side of the family, which is the Kadlec side,
      and I was curious if anyone could offer any words of wisdom? I know that it
      is a common name, but I couldn't find any ports of entry (ie Ellis Island
      and other Eastern United States sea ports)... Does anyone know if maybe
      this name was spelled differently than it is currently, or how is it spelled
      in Czech maybe? Anyone who has any advice on how to go about finding where
      they came in at America would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Actually,
      any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! :-)

      Jackie
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2004
        Jackie

        I would suggest that you try to find the Declaration of Intent, filed in the
        county courthouse of residence at the time of application for citizenship. It
        frequently contains a great deal of useful information. Do you know what
        year they came? That can have a great bearing on where the ship information
        might be found. If they are on the 1920 census, the year of immigration should be
        listed, as well as whether or not they have become citizens. Sometimes, the
        Declarations of Intent are also contained in the State Archives. If you can
        provide some more specific information, such as full names, ages, place of
        residence, etc, I would be happy to poke around some.

        Elizabeth

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2004
          At 06:22 PM 3/7/2004 -0600, you wrote:

          >Hello everyone. I guess that I have hit the proverbial brick wall as well.
          >I am researching my husband's side of the family, which is the Kadlec side,
          >and I was curious if anyone could offer any words of wisdom? I know that it
          >is a common name, but I couldn't find any ports of entry (ie Ellis Island
          >and other Eastern United States sea ports)... Does anyone know if maybe
          >this name was spelled differently than it is currently, or how is it spelled
          >in Czech maybe?

          I believe you have the correct spelling in Czech. What town were they
          from? If they applied for citizenship, the name of their town and the ship
          they arrived on would be on their Declaration of Intent. What was the time
          period of their immigration? There are 159 Kadlec listed in the EIDB.

          John M

          > Anyone who has any advice on how to go about finding where
          >they came in at America would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Actually,
          >any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! :-)
          >
          >Jackie

        • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
            Hi Elizabeth. I know that my husband's great-great-great-grandfather's name
            was Simon (or Siman) Kadlec. He was born in 1849 in Bohemia, but there is
            some difficulty in finding what country they came from. He was married to
            Mary and they eventually settled in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I know that they
            were buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Milwaukee, but that is all I know.
            So, I don't have a whole lot of information to go with here. ANY help would
            be greatly appreciated however! :-) Thank you in advance!

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
              Jackie

              I have not found much, but here it is:

              1910 Census Roll 1802 Book 2, page 43b 10th ward, Milwaukee

              Kedlac, Simon, b. Dec 1849 Bohemia, married 25 years, emigrated 1893
              Maria, b. Dec 1852, Bohemia, em. 1893
              Joseph, b. Oct 1881, born Bohemia, em. 1893
              Frank, May 1899, b. Wisconsin

              1910 roll 1723, Book 1, page 98 3rd ward, Milwaukee

              Kedlac, Simon, naturalized citizen
              Maria
              Frank

              Ellis Island

              Kedlac ??? married female, age 37,
              Kedlac, Josef, age 11
              Maria, age 5

              All
              Ethnicity - Bohemia
              Arrival - 31 Dec. 1894
              Ship Wittekind
              Departure - Bremen, Germany

              This is probably them. I didn't find Simon, but his name may have been
              misspelled. I would suggest that your next step would be to look for the
              Declaration of Intent or Naturalization record for Simon (or Joseph, if he was not a
              minor child) which should be located either in the county courthouse or the
              state archives. He could not have become a citizen until he had been here 5
              years, so your search would be narrowed to between 1898, when he would have become
              eligible, and 1910, when he was a citizen. I could not read the notation for
              citizenship in the 1900 census.

              Good luck

              Elizabeth

              P.S. I found a Simon Kedlac on the World Family Tree who appears to be yours,
              and I can get a contact name from Genealogy, unless it was you who put him
              there, in which case I won't bother. It showed Simon's parents and Joseph and
              Magdelina. No accurate information regarding dates.

            • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 13, 2004
                Elizabeth, you are a true angel! Thank you so very much for this, I can't
                express my appreciation enough! You did so much, I can't thank you enough!
                Thank you, thank you thank you!

                Jackie