Re: [S-R] Words of Encouragement for those who hit the "Brick Wall"

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 6, 2004
      I applaud your efforts! My mother and I recently arranged a marker for her
      father, and it really helps to have something somewhere so that 100 years from
      now our descendants (who will undoubtedly forget where we filed all our work)
      will be able to find a permanent record.

      I have a question for anyone who might help - I am missing an entire limb
      from my Csejka tree - Yosef (or Joseph) who lived in Marydel MD with his wife and
      children sometime in the 1920's-30's. None of my family has been indexed
      correctly by whoever transcribed census records, and I am not even certain if
      they changed the spelling. Any suggestions?

      Elizabeth Smith
      looking for any Csejka's

    • WHew536674@cs.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6, 2004
        Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.
        Joyce

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2004
          US Census enumeration sheets were organized by street. Do you know what
          street or neighborhood she lived on? Just go down street by street.

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          I applaud your efforts! My mother and I recently arranged a marker for her
          father, and it really helps to have something somewhere so that 100 years
          from
          now our descendants (who will undoubtedly forget where we filed all our
          work)
          will be able to find a permanent record.

          I have a question for anyone who might help - I am missing an entire limb
          from my Csejka tree - Yosef (or Joseph) who lived in Marydel MD with his
          wife and
          children sometime in the 1920's-30's. None of my family has been indexed
          correctly by whoever transcribed census records, and I am not even certain
          if
          they changed the spelling. Any suggestions?

          Elizabeth Smith
          looking for any Csejka's

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • EMSCRS@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6, 2004
            Bill,

            I did think of that, but they lived on a farm, and I am not certain if the
            post office would have been Marydel, or if that was just the nearest town. My
            eyes are giving me a great deal of difficulty, and sometimes the handwriting is
            just impossible.

            Elizabeth

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6, 2004
              If you can access them from a local public library, you might be able to get
              a librarian to help! ;) always looking for an angle....

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              I did think of that, but they lived on a farm, and I am not certain if the
              post office would have been Marydel, or if that was just the nearest town.
              My
              eyes are giving me a great deal of difficulty, and sometimes the handwriting
              is
              just impossible.

              Elizabeth

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 7, 2004
                Hello everyone. I guess that I have hit the proverbial brick wall as well.
                I am researching my husband's side of the family, which is the Kadlec side,
                and I was curious if anyone could offer any words of wisdom? I know that it
                is a common name, but I couldn't find any ports of entry (ie Ellis Island
                and other Eastern United States sea ports)... Does anyone know if maybe
                this name was spelled differently than it is currently, or how is it spelled
                in Czech maybe? Anyone who has any advice on how to go about finding where
                they came in at America would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Actually,
                any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! :-)

                Jackie

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 7, 2004
                  Jackie

                  I would suggest that you try to find the Declaration of Intent, filed in the
                  county courthouse of residence at the time of application for citizenship. It
                  frequently contains a great deal of useful information. Do you know what
                  year they came? That can have a great bearing on where the ship information
                  might be found. If they are on the 1920 census, the year of immigration should be
                  listed, as well as whether or not they have become citizens. Sometimes, the
                  Declarations of Intent are also contained in the State Archives. If you can
                  provide some more specific information, such as full names, ages, place of
                  residence, etc, I would be happy to poke around some.

                  Elizabeth

                • John M,
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 7, 2004
                    At 06:22 PM 3/7/2004 -0600, you wrote:

                    >Hello everyone. I guess that I have hit the proverbial brick wall as well.
                    >I am researching my husband's side of the family, which is the Kadlec side,
                    >and I was curious if anyone could offer any words of wisdom? I know that it
                    >is a common name, but I couldn't find any ports of entry (ie Ellis Island
                    >and other Eastern United States sea ports)... Does anyone know if maybe
                    >this name was spelled differently than it is currently, or how is it spelled
                    >in Czech maybe?

                    I believe you have the correct spelling in Czech. What town were they
                    from? If they applied for citizenship, the name of their town and the ship
                    they arrived on would be on their Declaration of Intent. What was the time
                    period of their immigration? There are 159 Kadlec listed in the EIDB.

                    John M

                    > Anyone who has any advice on how to go about finding where
                    >they came in at America would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Actually,
                    >any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! :-)
                    >
                    >Jackie

                  • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
                      Hi Elizabeth. I know that my husband's great-great-great-grandfather's name
                      was Simon (or Siman) Kadlec. He was born in 1849 in Bohemia, but there is
                      some difficulty in finding what country they came from. He was married to
                      Mary and they eventually settled in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I know that they
                      were buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Milwaukee, but that is all I know.
                      So, I don't have a whole lot of information to go with here. ANY help would
                      be greatly appreciated however! :-) Thank you in advance!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
                        Jackie

                        I have not found much, but here it is:

                        1910 Census Roll 1802 Book 2, page 43b 10th ward, Milwaukee

                        Kedlac, Simon, b. Dec 1849 Bohemia, married 25 years, emigrated 1893
                        Maria, b. Dec 1852, Bohemia, em. 1893
                        Joseph, b. Oct 1881, born Bohemia, em. 1893
                        Frank, May 1899, b. Wisconsin

                        1910 roll 1723, Book 1, page 98 3rd ward, Milwaukee

                        Kedlac, Simon, naturalized citizen
                        Maria
                        Frank

                        Ellis Island

                        Kedlac ??? married female, age 37,
                        Kedlac, Josef, age 11
                        Maria, age 5

                        All
                        Ethnicity - Bohemia
                        Arrival - 31 Dec. 1894
                        Ship Wittekind
                        Departure - Bremen, Germany

                        This is probably them. I didn't find Simon, but his name may have been
                        misspelled. I would suggest that your next step would be to look for the
                        Declaration of Intent or Naturalization record for Simon (or Joseph, if he was not a
                        minor child) which should be located either in the county courthouse or the
                        state archives. He could not have become a citizen until he had been here 5
                        years, so your search would be narrowed to between 1898, when he would have become
                        eligible, and 1910, when he was a citizen. I could not read the notation for
                        citizenship in the 1900 census.

                        Good luck

                        Elizabeth

                        P.S. I found a Simon Kedlac on the World Family Tree who appears to be yours,
                        and I can get a contact name from Genealogy, unless it was you who put him
                        there, in which case I won't bother. It showed Simon's parents and Joseph and
                        Magdelina. No accurate information regarding dates.

                      • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 13, 2004
                          Elizabeth, you are a true angel! Thank you so very much for this, I can't
                          express my appreciation enough! You did so much, I can't thank you enough!
                          Thank you, thank you thank you!

                          Jackie