Words of Encouragement for those who hit the "Brick Wall"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2004
      One thought about persistence.

      Family stories indicate that my late father had three siblings that died in
      infancy. We had some given names, but no one was sure. No one ever knew
      when or where they were buried. I started by listing a chronology of the
      family, looking at potential "gestation periods". That is, gaps of time
      where it might be plausible for another pregnancy to occur.

      So I asked the local cemeteries to check within a few narrow date ranges for
      births from my family. Right away they found one. I persisted, but they
      said they could find no other. After about a year, I became convinced that
      there had to have been a birth during that period. There was a pattern of
      family given names that seemed to be followed and one of these missing names
      would have occured during this period of time. I asked again, explaining
      how convinced I was. Nothing. About two months later, I received an
      unsolicited email from the administrator at the cemetery. I had piqued his
      curiosity and he had some spare time, and began to look on his own. He
      found the second child, precisely during the period of time I had estimated.
      The spin, was that the name in the handwritten ledger was FARKULICS instead
      of TARKULICH. I don't know who was more exicited, him or me.

      I can't overestimate the importance of establishing good repoire with the
      people you deal with. So many of these research projects require time and
      patience.

      We never found the third one. We believe now that she was born and died in
      Slovakia during a mysterious trip back to the homeland shortly after their
      immigration to America.

      The two graves we found remained unmarked in a children's section of the
      Rochester, NY Holy Sepulchre cemetery for the last 90 years. My family has
      undertaken a project to put permanant markers on these sites. This is a
      tribute to my grandparents, who never had the resources to provide markers,
      but struggled to make a better life for us all in America.

      "There is no one more resourceful than a genealogist looking for a record."
      , Avotanyu, July 8. 2001