Re: Translation

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 59 , Mar 4, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...> wrote:

      > Here I go again.....
      >
      > I have copies of GC Church records for relatives from the villages of
      > Krive/Kruzlov.
      >
      > Under the column where the cause of death is listed, I find a word that
      > I cannot translate. I am not sure if I have the spelling correct, but
      > it appears to be:
      >
      > (d/o/u/n)shysis
      >
      > That is the best that I can make it out. It appears in several of the
      > listings.
      >
      > The handwriting isn't that great. Looking at a list, the closest I can
      > come is "tussis" which is whooping cough. However, in other listings on
      > the same page, "tussis" is clearly written compared to my listing.
      >
      > If needed, I can scan in the page and email separately.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Gary

      Medical terms would have been in Latin.
      tussis was (whooping) cough

      phtysis ? was comsumption, tuberculosis

      Frank
    • MGMojher
      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 19, 2016
        Jill,
            Go to the Slovak-Roots website. Check-in. Near the top is a bar that has the word Photos and a camera. Click on that. On the right are the words Actions and New Album. A box for up loading photos will come up.
        Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 8:57 PM
        Subject: [S-R] Translation

        Hi what is the best way to post a picture for translation? Is it best to send it to someone directly? It will drop off the post here, eh, if I attach it?

        I have a baptismal record that I have attempted to translate (I don't know Slovakian) and one of the items in the church record book is difficult.

        Best Regards,
        Jill A Baty