Re: [S-R] Surname opinions wanted

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)" <JArmata@g...> wrote:
      > My guess is it ultimately derives from the pomegranate connection.
      > Even though the fruit wasn't native to the area, it was a Renaissance
      > decorative motif that became widely popularized all over Slovakia and
      > Hungary in the 18th/19th century.
      >
      > Joe

      Was this motif also of Turkish origin ?
      Incidentally, pomegranate medalions appeared on Turkish battle flags which were made of silk.
      In 16th c the Ottoman Empire had expanded into Hungary including territory in what is now
      eastern Slovakia.
      By 17th c the Habsburgs had pushed the Ottomans back and established Austrian rule over
      Hungary-Croatia.

      Frank K