RE: [S-R] Surname opinions wanted

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
      My guess is it ultimately derives from the pomegranate connection.
      Even though the fruit wasn't native to the area, it was a Renaissance
      decorative motif that became widely popularized all over Slovakia and
      Hungary in the 18th/19th century.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)" <JArmata@g...> wrote:
        > My guess is it ultimately derives from the pomegranate connection.
        > Even though the fruit wasn't native to the area, it was a Renaissance
        > decorative motif that became widely popularized all over Slovakia and
        > Hungary in the 18th/19th century.
        >
        > Joe

        Was this motif also of Turkish origin ?
        Incidentally, pomegranate medalions appeared on Turkish battle flags which were made of silk.
        In 16th c the Ottoman Empire had expanded into Hungary including territory in what is now
        eastern Slovakia.
        By 17th c the Habsburgs had pushed the Ottomans back and established Austrian rule over
        Hungary-Croatia.

        Frank K