Re: Surname opinions wanted

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4 7:58 AM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dan wanchic" <wa8vzq@h...>
      wrote:
      > I've been researching my maternal line surname Granatovic from
      Trebisov.

      > My gggrandfather was Andras Granatovic.
      >
      > My ggrandfather Josef and his two brothers changed the spelling
      > to Granatovich in the US. My guess is because of pronouncing
      > the ending 'c' as 'ch.
      >
      > My grandfathers' generation changed the spelling to Grantonic.
      >
      > I have several different theories on the meaning of Granatovic
      > and I'd like to rule out some of my guesses. I'd like some opinions
      > from the group. These are listed in my guess from highest to lowest
      > probability.
      >
      > 1. It's a trade name related to someone who imported or sold
      pomegranates
      > since granatovnik is Slovak/Czech for pomegranate. Dropping the
      'nik' and
      > adding the 'ic' seems to be a plausible progression into a surname.
      >
      > 2. It's a trade name related to someone who traded or sold garnets
      since
      > granat is German for garnet. Adding the suffix 'ovic' results in
      Garnetson.
      > Although the German population in Czech/Slovakia region is small,
      it is
      > still
      > a significant possibility.
      >
      > 3. Similar scenerio as #2 but using an ethinic Russian origin since
      granat
      > means
      > pomegrante in Russian. But this case adding the 'ovic' the name
      would mean
      > 'son of pomegranate' I've found the Granatovich surname in Russia.
      >
      > 4. Similar scenerio as #3 but Belarus or Ukranian origin. (I don't
      > know the translation for these languages) I do see the Granat and
      > Granatovich
      > surname in searches in each country.
      >
      > 5. It's a patronymic name corrupted by a double translation error
      when
      > converting
      > th given name Hranich to cryllic and back. Grana is the Russian
      translation
      > of Hranich.
      >
      > 6. It's a descriptive name loosely related to the reddish color of
      garnets
      > or pomegranates.
      >
      > Any insight is greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Dan
      >
      > If this address bounces
      > -- wa8vzq@c...
      > -- Saint Cloud, MN --

      Dan,

      Many interesting speculations.
      My surname opinion input.

      Many emigrants changed names after ariival in the US.

      Ellis Island Records (EIR) list 232 surnames Granat.
      >From Russia, Sweden, Finland, Belarus, Hungary, Mexico, and other
      countries.
      I didn't see a Andras or Andrew in this group to match your gggrandfather.=
      .

      Expect surname was from Baltics, Scandanavia, and former Russian Empire.

      Given name Andrew (E) András (H) Ondrej/Andrej (Sk) Andreas (G)
      Ondrih (Cz) Andrezej (P) Andriejus (Lith) A h d p e u (Rus)

      In Slovak, granát = grenade, shell
      granátovy' = a garnet jewel (s^perk)
      granátové jablko (apple) = a pomegranate

      Pomegranate is a fruit native to SW Asia and grown in warm countries.
      I doubt if the climate in Upper Hungary (Slovakia) was warm enough
      to cultivate such a crop for the Hapsburg rulers of Austria-Hungary.
      Perhaps the Russian tsars could savor pomegranates.

      Garnet mining is carried on in US (NY, MT) in S.A, in Mexico, South
      Africa and elsewhere in the world.

      Hungarians had a surname ending -ics which was not native to Hungarian
      but a phonetic adaptation i.e. written -ics pron. ick.
      Magyar letter "cs" =ch was equivalent to Slovak diacritic letter c^ =ch.

      In 1905, a Josef Granatovics, age 33 (b. abt. 1869, Hungarian,
      married,
      had emigrated from To"keterebes (H) Trebis^ov (Sk) to his brother in
      Mingo Junction, Jefferson CO OH (which is located at the WVA border)
      Couldn't read the brother's given name , perhaps Juraj (George ) ?

      Frank K

      > Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at
      Tech