RE: [S-R] HELP ME --WHERE THE TOWN NAME GOPSECOLA HUNGARY OR CZECH?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hello Jackie,
      In order to help, we need some further info, since nothing quickly jumps out
      from my reference books for this name, suggesting the spelling is different
      than you write.

      1. What is the source of your information?
      2. How did you arrive at the spelling "GOPSEDCOLA"? Is this a phonetic
      approximation? If so, in what language, English I presume?
      3. From what year was this village name citied? The era of time is very
      important.
      3. What language did your GGP speak? What was his religion?
      4. What makes you consider the Czech Republic, which was in the Austria
      Empire until 1918.
      5. What does the 11th century have to do with it?

      We cannot comment further on Archive resources until we affirmatively
      identify this village.

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        I am going to take a stab here and make an assumption that the writing was
        misread rather than a phonetic description.

        GOPSEDCOLA
        How about
        KAPOSZTAFALVA (old Magyar Name)
        present-day HRABUSICE, SLOVAKIA
        former Szepes (Saros) County.

        also close is
        KAPOSPULA in Somogy county, Hungary
        GECELFALVA in Gomor county, Hungary

        You probably sense by now just how far off the spelling must be.

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jackiestich@a... wrote:
          > HELLO THERE,
          > I AM JUST WONDERING ABOUT THE TOWN CALLED OLDER
          COUNTRY
          > GOPSEDCOLA HUNGARY OR CZECH THAT WAS 11TH CENTURY. I AM LOOKING FOR
          MY GREATGRAND
          > PARENTS ANDREW DANKO - ANNA ORGANIZTA OR Guydosh
          > LAST NAME AND HOW I CAN FIND THEIR BIRTH-MARRIAGES-DEATH AT SAROS
          COUNTRY ,
          > HUNGARY?
          > WHERE I CAN FIND THE RECORDS NEAR BY THE TOWN ? PLEASE HELP ME BY
          ACHIEVES
          > AND NEED THE ADDRESS IF POSSIBLE..
          > THANK YOU, JACKIE STICH

          Jackie

          I can't tell you where Gopsedcola was located because that name is not
          a Hungarian spelling.
          It was probably misspelled and only sounded like "Gopsedcola" to a
          listener.

          Farthermost extent of Poland territory under Bolesaw I, A.D.
          992-1018,
          included Moravia (Cz), and (now) a part of Slovakia then and south to
          Esztergom,
          Hungary; and from Tisza river north across what was later Sáros
          megye and across Poland to Prussia.

          Rootsweb.com gedcom files list 647 surnames Danko.
          Organiszta is a Magyar surname spelling.

          In 1905, a János (John) Organiszta, age 38, married , ethnicity
          Slovak,
          had emigrated to his brother-in-law's (Galyik) address in Plymouth
          Luzerne CO in NE PA.
          His Last Residence in Europe had been Kükömezo"/Kükemezo"
          (H) located in
          Sáros megye (county), Hungary, now Kuková (Sk) S^aris^ ,
          Slovakia which is near Giraltovce.

          Hradabus^ice (Sk) was formerly located in Szepes megye, Hungary which
          was later Spis^ ( not Saros) Hungary.

          Social Security Death Index (SSDI) lists only 10 surnames Guydosh.
          Those under PA were from Luzerne CO and one surname was also from Plymouth =
          PA.

          Frank K