[S-R] Re: Diustin and Matasofca not unlisted, just misspelled

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 2/23/04 1:40:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > frankur@w... writes:
      >
      > > EIR list
      > > 222 surnames Makowsky
      > > 34 surnames Makovsky.
      > >

      > Frank,
      > I do not know or just cannot remember. What is the EIR list? I
      see the "w"
      > and "v" and should have known that from Polish language.
      > Noreen

      Noreen,

      EIR is acronym for (online) Ellis Island Records.
      Guess we all get in habit of thinking everyone is familiar with our
      own
      knowledge of common genealogical research terms.

      Slovakia telephone directory lists :

      surname Horník under

      Spis^ská Stará Ves 4
      Lendak 1
      Matias^ovce 1
      Kez^marok 2

      surname Makovsky' under

      Stará Belá 4
      Slovenská Ves 2
      Spis^ská Hanus^ovce 1
      Kez^marok 1

      Tatransky' Národny' park is located above Kez^marok
      and a military reservationwas located to the east.

      Austria's presence in Galicia began in 1769, when Hapsburg troops
      occupied the 16 Polish-held towns and villages in the Spis^ region on
      the southern slopes of the Carpathians.
      Then from late 1790s to 1918 there was no Poland, just the Partitions.
      And Galicia was called Austrian-Poland.
      Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
      Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus' Halicka (Polish).

      In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little Poland)

      Do videnia (Sk)

      Do widzenia (P).
      (do veedzhen ah)

      Frank K