RE: [S-R] New to list and looking for Markowicz/Markovitch Inform ation

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2004
      The Ellis Island record misread the town name: it's Milik. Milik is
      in Poland but just over the border from Slovakia, SE of Piwniczna and
      SW of Krynica in Poland, NE of Stara Lubovna in Slovakia. You can
      see it on http://www.mapquest.com This was part of old Galicia.

      This is a Lemko/Rusyn area (eastern Slavs, while Slovaks and Poles are
      western Slavs), so Martha could well have been that ethnicity as well
      as Slovak. The child "Paraska" was probably Paraskeva, an
      eastern-rite name, which would tie in with Lemko/Rusyn origins.

      Joe