Re: [S-R] Re: Diustin and Matasofca not unlisted, just misspelled

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2004
      Frank,
      yes, according to the Rymut there are Makowski in Poland and so Makowsky may
      be the Slovak version.
      Noreen

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
        > Frank,
        > yes, according to the Rymut there are Makowski in Poland and so
        Makowsky may
        > be the Slovak version.
        > Noreen

        Noreen

        Should have restated that better.
        Ship manifests are full of misspelled surnames and mis transcriptions
        as William Hoffman described in his "Mutilation: the Fate of Eastern
        European Names in America" (PDF)

        EIR list
        222 surnames Makowsky
        34 surnames Makovsky.

        The latter 34 surnames were all from Slovenská Ves, Slovakia which is
        located 9 miles distant from Matias^ovce, Slovakia and 7 miles distant from=

        Falsztyn, Poland; formerly Durstin/Falstin, Hungary.

        Slovak and Magyar alphabets don't have letter w.
        Letter v is pron. v.

        In Polish the letter w is pron. v.
        For example :
        Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
        nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
        Hungarian English Polish grammatical form
        nagy large wielka/wielke/wielki

        In German letter w is pron. v.
        And letter v is pron. f, v.

        Frank K

      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2004
          In a message dated 2/23/04 1:40:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          frankur@... writes:

          > EIR list
          > 222 surnames Makowsky
          > 34 surnames Makovsky.

          Frank,
          I do not know or just cannot remember. What is the EIR list? I see the "w"
          and "v" and should have known that from Polish language.
          Noreen

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 2/23/04 1:40:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > frankur@w... writes:
            >
            > > EIR list
            > > 222 surnames Makowsky
            > > 34 surnames Makovsky.
            > >

            > Frank,
            > I do not know or just cannot remember. What is the EIR list? I
            see the "w"
            > and "v" and should have known that from Polish language.
            > Noreen

            Noreen,

            EIR is acronym for (online) Ellis Island Records.
            Guess we all get in habit of thinking everyone is familiar with our
            own
            knowledge of common genealogical research terms.

            Slovakia telephone directory lists :

            surname Horník under

            Spis^ská Stará Ves 4
            Lendak 1
            Matias^ovce 1
            Kez^marok 2

            surname Makovsky' under

            Stará Belá 4
            Slovenská Ves 2
            Spis^ská Hanus^ovce 1
            Kez^marok 1

            Tatransky' Národny' park is located above Kez^marok
            and a military reservationwas located to the east.

            Austria's presence in Galicia began in 1769, when Hapsburg troops
            occupied the 16 Polish-held towns and villages in the Spis^ region on
            the southern slopes of the Carpathians.
            Then from late 1790s to 1918 there was no Poland, just the Partitions.
            And Galicia was called Austrian-Poland.
            Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
            Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus' Halicka (Polish).

            In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little Poland)

            Do videnia (Sk)

            Do widzenia (P).
            (do veedzhen ah)

            Frank K