Re: [S-R] unlisted towns-Diustin

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2004
      Dear Ed,
      Have you ever used the "ShtetlSeeker"?
      I put your town of "Diustin" into this search engine and see that "
      DUCZATYN" is in the right spot for Autstria-Hungary. More likely in the area of
      what was then called "Galicia." Today, Duczatyn is in Poland. It is pronounced
      somewhat like Diustin
      this is the URL for the shtetlseeker:

      http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

      welcome to the group.

      Noreen

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
        > Dear Ed,
        > Have you ever used the "ShtetlSeeker"?
        > I put your town of "Diustin" into this search engine and see that
        "
        > DUCZATYN" is in the right spot for Autstria-Hungary. More likely
        in the area of
        > what was then called "Galicia." Today, Duczatyn is in Poland. It
        is pronounced
        > somewhat like Diustin
        > this is the URL for the shtetlseeker:
        >
        > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/
        >
        > welcome to the group.
        >
        > Noreen

        Noreen and Ed,

        Duczatyn is located in SE Poland (yes, former Galicija) and 10 miles
        distant from Medzilaborce, Slovakia (eastern)
        Medzilaborce is located 232 miles ENE of Bratislava and 70 miles east
        of Matias^ovce.
        Believe this Duczatyn is located too far east ?

        The Tatras form the central, highest of the Carpathian mountain
        range.
        They are ringed by four broad basins west to east : Podhale, Orawa,
        Liptow and Spisz.

        Spisz region looks like a better match.
        Spis^ towns.
        Interesting region.
        Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
        Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
        centuries.

        Early in 15th c the 16 towns in the northen Spis^ region of central
        Slovakia (including Stará L'ubovn^a and L'ubica)- near to but not
        including the royal Saxon towns of Käsmark and Leutschau - were
        sold to Poland, underwhose rule they remained 1412-1772.

        I should have written that the surname Makowsky spelled Makovsky
        rather than Makowsky looks like a Slovak spelling of the Polish surname
        Makowski.
        In Slavic languages the, letter v is pron. v.
        In Polish and German the letter w is pron. v.

        Hornik is a Slovak surname.

        As to a possible hypothetical solution of the locations of the GP's
        two towns.

        Matasofca <========> Diustin

        Matias^ovce (formerly known as Matiassowce/Máty
        ásfalu/Mathsau/Matzau/) is located 170 miles ENE of Bratislava and 3 miles =
        south of
        Spis^ská Stará Ves, close tothe Polish border and 9 miles distant from a D=
        ursztyn,
        Poland.

        Any positive evidence ?

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 5 surnames Horník under
        Spis^ská Stará Ves which is located 3 miles from Matias^ovce and 9 miles f=
        rom this
        Dursztyn, Poland.

        The directory also lists two surnames Makovsky' under Spis^ská
        Belá which is located 14 miles from Spis^ská Stará Ves and 12 miles
        distant from Matias^ovce.
        These days expect no one could earn a livelihood in a small Slovakia
        village and the surname's ancestors have moved over time.

        Frank K