Re: [S-R] unlisted towns

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2004
      Dustin is misspelled or not in today's Slovakia. Matasofca is Matiasovce
      east of high Tatra mountains.

      What else would you like to know??

      At 08:33 PM 2/21/2004, you wrote:
      >I am new to this group
      >I found my Grandfathers citizenship papers,it said that he was born
      >in 1877 in the town of DIUSTIN in AUSTRIA HUNGARY,but I have not
      >been able to find it on any maps (this is how it is spelled on the
      >citizenship papers)
      >The spelling of the last name is HORNIK or HARNIK the letters are
      >written togather.
      >My Grandmother is said to have came from the town of MATASOFCA near
      >the TATRA MOUNTAINS, last name is MAKOWSKY.
      >I hope someone can help me on this search?
      >Thanks ED
      >surnames HORNICK,HORNIK,HARNIK,REMINSKY,MAKOWSKY

      Vladimir Linder

      I do Genealogical research, Ancsestral Village Videos and Ancestral Village
      Photography in Slovakia.

      More information on:
      History of any village or town in Slovakia:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm
      Genealogical research:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
      Ancestral Village Videos:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
      Ancestral Village Photography:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm

      Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$35.00 per page

      Next Genealogical, Ancestral Village Videos and Photography trip starts on
      FEBRUARY 23, 2004

      To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
      My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-907-297-508

      Email: vlinder49@...

      Contact me for more details
      Vladimir Linder
      3804 Yale Street
      Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
      Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2004
        Ed,
        by the way, check out
        http://maxpages.com/poland
        if you find that your search for Diustin does take you into Poland.
        Noreen

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "big_ed321" <e_hornick@e...> wrote:
          > I am new to this group
          > I found my Grandfathers citizenship papers,it said that he was born
          > in 1877 in the town of DIUSTIN in AUSTRIA HUNGARY,but I have not
          > been able to find it on any maps (this is how it is spelled on the
          > citizenship papers)
          > The spelling of the last name is HORNIK or HARNIK the letters are
          > written togather.
          > My Grandmother is said to have came from the town of MATASOFCA near
          > the TATRA MOUNTAINS, last name is MAKOWSKY.
          > I hope someone can help me on this search?
          > Thanks ED
          > surnames HORNICK,HORNIK,HARNIK,REMINSKY,MAKOWSKY

          Ellis Island Records (EIR) 1892-1924 list the following no. of your
          surnames who had emigrated to US :

          Hornik 220
          Harnik 91
          Hornick 34
          Makowsky 222

          Makowsky looks like a Slovak version of the Polish surname Makowski.
          If GF and GM came from villages located near one another perhaps both
          their villages were located in NE Slovakia and near the Polish border ?.

          When did your GP's emigrate to US ?
          His citzenship papers should tell you year of arrival and name of ship.

          In naturalization papers the clerk or official wrote down what he thought =

          he heard the emigrant say and nobody checked for correct spelling or
          location of village/town of origin in an atlas.

          Slovakia has 3,300 or so villages.
          Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and part of the =

          Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a part of Hungary under th=
          Austrian Empire.
          Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

          Do you have some first names to go with your surnames ?
          What was surname religion ?

          Frank K