Re: Turna nad Bodvou

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2004
      Larry,

      You caught me right after locating a bit of information on another
      village & recovering from some long flights, so I decided to look for
      your location as well before I unpack. It was tough to find on my
      1:200 000 map, but it appeared as a 'suburb' of TURNIANSKE PODHRADIE,
      but evidently it is not, it is part of that town. I have driven
      through it and stopped to photograph the picturesque castle as i
      drove west form Kosice. Other than that, I did find a 1988 map/guide
      of Slovakia with these comments:

      "TURNIANSKE PODHRADIE -
      The settlement Turòa nad Bodvou and Háj merged into the village in
      1964. The oldest mention of Turòa nad Bodvou comes from 1221. In the
      15th century it grew to become a little town. It was the residence of
      the county until the Turnianska county was established. The ruins of
      the Gothic and Renaissance Turniansky castle built in the 14th
      century on a mountain over the village. It declined in 1685. 13,79 ha
      of the area of the Turniansky castle hill is a protected area with
      rare plants and animals. A Gothic church built at the beginning of
      the 14th century, enlarged in the 15th and modified in the 18th
      centuries. An originally Renaissance manor house modified in the
      Classicist style in the 17th century. A park with a pond near the
      manor house. A Classicist county house built in 1820."

      So it appears you can re-focus your hunt on the new name. You might
      also consider looking at the old Hungarian name, whatever that may
      be, and at Hungarian sources.

      Ron