A good (free) read: "Family History, More Than Genealogy"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2004
      I recently uncovered a gem of Genealogical reading, in all places, the
      Rochester, NY City Historian's office. In 1990, they published an edition,
      called, "Family History, More Than Genealogy". It's a wonderful introduction
      to various techniques and considerations a researcher should investigate
      along the way.
      While it uses Rochester examples and ethnicities other than ours for
      examples, the ideas ring true. It's a well-written piece and describes some
      of the US-specific pieces of research worth investigating. I think
      especially of the recent researchers whose families have been in the US for
      over 100 years. While finding their immigration records may proof difficult,
      learning other things about them is quite intriguing.
      You can find it at
      http://www.rochester.lib.ny.us/~rochhist/v52_1990/v52i2.pdf
      It's an Adobe Acrobat file and it's about 2.2MB in size.
      If you're further interested, there is a whole Rochester history of
      publications (published from the 1940s to the present), recently published
      to the web. It is here http://rochester.lib.ny.us/~rochhist/index.html
      You might investigate your local city or village historian for similar
      publications. It has provided some fascinating glimpses into the past.
      Combined with their also published historical city maps, the reading is
      quite captivating.
      Happy reading!

      Bill Tarkulich