Re: [S-R] Kolbas (Old Town Name) -- Brezina (New Town Name)

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
      No problem. I can go there for you during my upcoming trip.

      Village history translated is US$35.00

      all the rest is on my pages below:

      At 10:37 AM 2/17/2004, you wrote:
      >Hello All --
      >
      >If anyone is researching this area -- in Eastern Slovakia -- just north of
      >the Hungarian border -- please let me know -- other than maps, I'm not
      >finding much on the Internet about either of these towns. Thanks!
      >

      >Caye

      > *
      > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > *

      Vladimir Linder

      I do Genealogical research, Ancsestral Village Videos and Ancestral Village
      Photography in Slovakia.

      More information on:
      History of any village or town in Slovakia:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm
      Genealogical research:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
      Ancestral Village Videos:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
      Ancestral Village Photography:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm

      Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$35.00 per page

      Next Genealogical, Ancestral Village Videos and Photography trip starts on
      FEBRUARY 23, 2004

      To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
      My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-907-297-508

      Email: vlinder49@...

      Contact me for more details
      Vladimir Linder
      3804 Yale Street
      Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
      Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
    • Bonnie Richards
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
        Dear Caye,

        I am also searching for family records from the Brezina area where I am told
        my gggrandparents attended the Greek Catholic church. They were from the
        village of Szilvasujfalu. The LDS have the church records for this area.
        Do you have access to the microfilm? I am searching BENYAK. and IVANKO.
        What are your names?

        Aloha,
        Bonnie
        > If anyone is researching this area -- in Eastern Slovakia -- just north of
        the Hungarian border -- please let me know -- other than maps, I'm not
        finding much on the Internet about either of these towns. Thanks!

        > Caye

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2004
          Caye, THe Turisticka Mapa #117 is a good investment for this area.
          This is what they say about the village. I can pick out bits and
          pieces, but believe you should do your homework (dictionary work) or
          we can let others translate:
          "Brezina C3: Obec sa spomina od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
          neskoršie patrila nieko¾kým majite¾om, vr. 1449 mal majetok v zálohu
          J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno poškodená. Súèasou boli osady
          Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r. 1785,
          kostol referenèný z r. 1801. Z 19. stor. zachované hlinené domy s
          valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v roz¾ahlých dvoroch."
          If all those letters do not come across your screen correctly, change
          view to 'central european'

          Part of my famili is in Trebisov, and comes from Lozin, not far
          away. For cash I bet I can get the good cousins to do some research!
          (Hej, I want to help them out as much as possible, and they really
          know how the local systems & records work, and command about 5
          languages within one small family.)

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hello All --
          >
          > If anyone is researching this area -- in Eastern Slovakia -- just
          north of the Hungarian border -- please let me know -- other than
          maps, I'm not finding much on the Internet about either of these
          towns. Thanks!

          > Caye

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2004
            Ron -- What language is that in? I'll try to use a dictionary to figure it out if you can tell me the language -- but I sure would appreciate anyone's input -- I might just take you up on that offer, once I can tell what this says. I appreciate your reply and the reply of any others, thanks.

            Caye

            amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
            Caye, THe Turisticka Mapa #117 is a good investment for this area.
            This is what they say about the village. I can pick out bits and
            pieces, but believe you should do your homework (dictionary work) or
            we can let others translate:
            "Brezina C3: Obec sa spomina od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
            neskor�ie patrila nieko�k�m majite�om, vr. 1449 mal majetok v z�lohu
            J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno po�koden�. S��as�ou boli osady
            Hal�m, Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistick� z r. 1785,
            kostol referen�n� z r. 1801. Z 19. stor. zachovan� hlinen� domy s
            valbovou strechou zoraden� za sebou v roz�ahl�ch dvoroch."

            wrote:
            > Hello All --
            >
            > If anyone is researching this area -- in Eastern Slovakia -- just
            north of the Hungarian border -- please let me know -- other than
            maps, I'm not finding much on the Internet about either of these
            towns. Thanks!

            > Caye

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            Click Here

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2004
              Caye,

              The writeup is in Slovak. It is good practice, as each activity has
              a specific vocabulary in a language and if you are researching family
              & history some of the basic words are here.

              Enjoy!

              wrote:
              > Ron -- What language is that in? I'll try to use a dictionary to
              figure it out if you can tell me the language -- but I sure would
              appreciate anyone's input -- I might just take you up on that offer,
              once I can tell what this says. I appreciate your reply and the
              reply of any others, thanks.

              > Caye
              >
              > amiak27 <rmat@p...> wrote:
              > Caye, THe Turisticka Mapa #117 is a good investment for this
              area.
              > This is what they say about the village. I can pick out bits and
              > pieces, but believe you should do your homework (dictionary work)
              or
              > we can let others translate:
              > "Brezina C3: Obec sa spomina od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
              > neskoršie patrila nieko¾kým majite¾om, vr. 1449 mal majetok v
              zálohu
              > J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno poškodená. Súèasou boli osady
              > Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r. 1785,
              > kostol referenèný z r. 1801. Z 19. stor. zachované hlinené domy s
              > valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v roz¾ahlých dvoroch."
              > If all those letters do not come across your screen correctly,
              change
              > view to 'central european'
              >
              > Part of my famili is in Trebisov, and comes from Lozin, not far
              > away. For cash I bet I can get the good cousins to do some
              research!
              > (Hej, I want to help them out as much as possible, and they really
              > know how the local systems & records work, and command about 5
              > languages within one small family.)
              >
              > Ron
              >

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Hello All --
              > >
              > > If anyone is researching this area -- in Eastern Slovakia -- just
              > north of the Hungarian border -- please let me know -- other than
              > maps, I'm not finding much on the Internet about either of these
              > towns. Thanks!
              > >

              > > Caye

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              > Click Here

              Service.

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 22, 2004
                Ron -- thanks, you remind me of my Gram, whenever I needed to look something up, she'd say -- you give it a go, then if you can't find it, I may give you a hint -- but to learn, you must seek yourself. I'll get busy, again I appreciate this.

                Caye

                wrote:
                > Ron -- What language is that in? I'll try to use a dictionary to
                figure it out if you can tell me the language -- but I sure would
                appreciate anyone's input -- I might just take you up on that offer,
                once I can tell what this says. I appreciate your reply and the
                reply of any others, thanks.

                > Caye
                >
                > amiak27 <rmat@p...> wrote:
                > Caye, THe Turisticka Mapa #117 is a good investment for this
                area.
                > This is what they say about the village. I can pick out bits and
                > pieces, but believe you should do your homework (dictionary work)
                or
                > we can let others translate:
                > "Brezina C3: Obec sa spomina od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
                > neskor�ie patrila nieko�k�m majite�om, vr. 1449 mal majetok v
                z�lohu
                > J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno po�koden�. S��as�ou boli osady
                > Hal�m, Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistick� z r. 1785,
                > kostol referen�n� z r. 1801. Z 19. stor. zachovan� hlinen� domy s
                > valbovou strechou zoraden� za sebou v roz�ahl�ch dvoroch."
                > If all those letters do not come across your screen correctly,
                change
                > view to 'central european'
                >
                > Part of my famili is in Trebisov, and comes from Lozin, not far
                > away. For cash I bet I can get the good cousins to do some
                research!
                > (Hej, I want to help them out as much as possible, and they really
                > know how the local systems & records work, and command about 5
                > languages within one small family.)
                >
                > Ron
                >

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > Hello All --
                > >
                > > If anyone is researching this area -- in Eastern Slovakia -- just
                > north of the Hungarian border -- please let me know -- other than
                > maps, I'm not finding much on the Internet about either of these
                > towns. Thanks!
                > >

                > > Caye

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                > Click Here

                Service.

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 22, 2004
                  Thanks for taking the response in good spirit, Caye. On occasion I
                  do play with translations for others, but just translating what I
                  need for myself consumes a lot of time, and time I don't have at the
                  moment. My cousin from Jakubany gave me some translation software
                  which is ideal for me - it forces me to recognize or to look up every
                  word, and I can expand the meaning of the different words. So I am
                  forced to practice vocabulary, though not grammar. At my low level
                  of 'survival Slovak' this is a great learning exercise.

                  I only wish I were fluent in 5 or 6 languages!

                  wrote:
                  > Ron -- thanks, you remind me of my Gram, whenever I needed to look
                  something up, she'd say -- you give it a go, then if you can't find
                  it, I may give you a hint -- but to learn, you must seek yourself.
                  I'll get busy, again I appreciate this.

                  > Caye
                  >

                  > amiak27 <rmat@p...> wrote:
                  > Caye,
                  >
                  > The writeup is in Slovak. It is good practice, as each activity
                  has
                  > a specific vocabulary in a language and if you are researching
                  family
                  > & history some of the basic words are here.
                  >
                  > Enjoy!
                  >
                  > Ron
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Ron -- What language is that in? I'll try to use a dictionary to
                  > figure it out if you can tell me the language -- but I sure would
                  > appreciate anyone's input -- I might just take you up on that
                  offer,
                  > once I can tell what this says. I appreciate your reply and the
                  > reply of any others, thanks.
                  > >
                  > > Caye
                  > >
                  > > amiak27 <rmat@p...> wrote:
                  > > Caye, THe Turisticka Mapa #117 is a good investment for this
                  > area.
                  > > This is what they say about the village. I can pick out bits and
                  > > pieces, but believe you should do your homework (dictionary work)
                  > or
                  > > we can let others translate:
                  > > "Brezina C3: Obec sa spomina od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
                  > > neskoršie patrila nieko¾kým majite¾om, vr. 1449 mal majetok v
                  > zálohu
                  > > J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno poškodená. Súèasou boli osady
                  > > Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r. 1785,
                  > > kostol referenèný z r. 1801. Z 19. stor. zachované hlinené domy s
                  > > valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v roz¾ahlých dvoroch."
                  > > If all those letters do not come across your screen correctly,
                  > change
                  > > view to 'central european'
                  > >
                  > > Part of my famili is in Trebisov, and comes from Lozin, not far
                  > > away. For cash I bet I can get the good cousins to do some
                  > research!
                  > > (Hej, I want to help them out as much as possible, and they
                  really
                  > > know how the local systems & records work, and command about 5
                  > > languages within one small family.)
                  > >
                  > > Ron

                • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 22, 2004
                    "The village is first mentioned in the year 1300 as a manoral
                    property, later it belonged to several owners, in the year 1449
                    J. Jiskra held the property as collateral. In 1944 the village
                    was badly damaged. Contemporary settlements are Halam, Hegyalja,
                    and Nyri. A baroque-classical church from 1785, a reference?
                    (referencny?) church from 1801. Clay houses have been preserved
                    with 4-sided roofs from the 19th century, arranged in rows with
                    spacious yards."

                    Joe

                    > "Brezina C3: Obec sa spomina od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
                    > neskoršie patrila nieko¾kým majite¾om, vr. 1449 mal majetok v zálohu
                    > J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno poškodená. Súèasou boli osady
                    > Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r. 1785,
                    > kostol referenèný z r. 1801. Z 19. stor. zachované hlinené domy s
                    > valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v roz¾ahlých dvoroch."
                    > If all those letters do not come across your screen correctly, change
                    > view to 'central european'
                    >
                    > Part of my famili is in Trebisov, and comes from Lozin, not far
                    > away. For cash I bet I can get the good cousins to do some research!
                    > (Hej, I want to help them out as much as possible, and they really
                    > know how the local systems & records work, and command about 5
                    > languages within one small family.)
                    >
                    > Ron
                  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 22, 2004
                      Oops, one correction: make the ending "in spacious yards."

                      Joe