RE: [S-R] New Member/Hello

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8 2:03 PM
      Welcome to the group.

      It's extremely important to know where your information came from. You do
      cite the EI manifests as one source, but I am unsure where the remainder of
      the info came from.

      I've whittled down the information of pertinence, which we can help with:

      . On the Ellis Island passenger list it states:
      Name: Pavlak, Protasz
      Ethnicity: Hungary
      Place of Residence: Landzasfalu, Hungary (HORKA)
      Date of Arrival: April 8, 1907

      In the ship manifest it list his birth place as
      "Trszkna" (which I can't find any place).
      - There are many possibilities for TRSZKNA. It's probably some phonetic
      bumbling, we can sort it out.
      I would use the map and look for something close by.
      use http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
      http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/locrad.htm
      for a proximity search. But we already have a bunch of good names
      elsewhere. It's likely he was married in or near Horka, since that was his
      last place of residence.

      Maria/Mary Kubalya/Kubala came to America as Maria
      Pavlak on June 28, 1910 with two of her and Protas's
      children; Maria/Mary, age 6 and Protas, age 4.
      Her place of residence was Satsofelv,Hungary.
      born in Landzasfalu,
      Hungary as were her two children Maria and Protas.

      Kadvinsky/Kacvinsky. I do not know what Mr. Kubala's
      first name was. Katherine Kacvinsky and Mr. Kubala had
      the following children:

      children:
      Suzanna, remained in Europe. Her married name
      was Spisa'kova and she lived in HORKA..
      - Well, this synchs with Landzasfalu (HORKA)
      - Lots of SPISSAK still living in POPRAD. Many people moved to large towns
      and cities for works 1950s forward.
      I found these people in SR phone book. Start here
      http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phone.html
      I think your best bet is the people SPISSAK and
      I also found PAVLAK in Poprad.

      Kisovce ork.Poprad.
      - POPRAD was involved, which is not very far from HORKA. KISCOVCE is
      adjacent to HORKA.
      Take a look at this map http://tinyurl.com/3c6o7 . You'll see how they all
      relate.
      The Mormons have the church records for adjancent village parishes, but not
      for HORKA.. It's quite possible the church records were consolidated. Go
      to http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp and
      search on the adjancent names, I find quite a few. The work is yours.

      Zsofia/Sofia, came to U.S.,Jul. 10, 1906, then
      returned to Europe and Married a Mr. Buk and had a
      child Anna then returned to the U.S. on Oct. 28, 1913.

      the Only way to know "what their story is" is to contact family over there.
      My approach would be:
      a) identify church
      b) view church records, construct tentative tree.
      c) write blind letters to individuals in villages in or near ancestral
      villages or hire a researcher to assist.
      My general approach is shown here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm

      That's all I have. The heavy lifting is yours, but you've got a lot of
      great resources, including village names. This will take you far.

      Good Luck,
      Bill Tarkulich