RE: [S-R] Re: Perz as a family name.

  • carole wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2004
      My Grandfather's name was Joseph, He was born Feb. 17 1869 in
      Tienfenreighter, Austria. I can not find this town on any maps of Austria.
      My Grandmother's name was Magdalena Samide. She was born Aug. 25 1868 in
      Schanckdorfor or Schalkendorf.

      I can't tell you very much else as they died long before I was born. I
      would appreciate any help any one can give me on the towns. Also the last
      name Samide.

      Sincerely,

      >From: "Frank" <frankur@...>
      >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [S-R] Re: Perz as a family name.
      >Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:21:48 -0000
      >
      >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "coramund" <coramund@h...> wrote:
      > > Has anyone heard of this name or known anyone with it. It was my
      > > father's father's last name when he came to the U.S., but when the
      > > arrived in Chicago, the public schools changed it to Bertz.
      > >
      > > sincerely,
      >
      >What language did your GF speak if he had emigrated to the US ?
      >What was his first name ? What year ?
      >
      >Probably 450-650 surname Perz bearers just in the USA.
      >Ellis Island Records list 202 surnames Perz from Spain, Cuba, Italy,
      >Poland,
      >Germany , Austria (Gottschee), Turkey, Yugoslavia, etc.
      >
      >RootsWeb's gedcom files list 262 surnames Perz.
      >A Perz born in IL in 1892 was a steel mill worker in Chicago IL in 1930.
      >
      >Frank K

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "carole wilson" <coramund@h...>
        wrote:
        > My Grandfather's name was Joseph, He was born Feb. 17 1869 in
        > Tienfenreighter, Austria. I can not find this town on any maps of
        Austria.
        > My Grandmother's name was Magdalena Samide. She was born Aug. 25
        1868 in
        > Schanckdorfor or Schalkendorf.
        >
        > I can't tell you very much else as they died long before I was
        born. I
        > would appreciate any help any one can give me on the towns. Also
        the last
        > name Samide.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        Carol

        Verstehen Sie deutsch ?
        Do you understand German ?

        Both surnames PERZ and SAMIDE(SAMIDA) were from Gottschee, Krain,
        Austria, formerly Austro-Hungarian Empire.

        Your village of Tienfenreighter was Tiefenreuter (HG),
        Trindabitz (GOTT) ,Trnovec (SL)

        Schalkendorf was Schalkendorf (HG),Schaokndoarf (Schaokndaf)(GOTT),
        Salka vas (SL)
        (High-German,Gottscheerisch,Slovenian)

        Gottscheer Villages URL

        http://www.pipeline.com/~jbglad/Gottschee-list.html

        Gottscheers are descendants of the people who lived in the
        German-speaking district of Gottschee
        in the Austrian Duchy of Carniola (Krain), which was part of the
        Austro-Hungarian Empire until 1918 when the Empire was dissolved
        following World War I. From 1918 until 1991, Gottschee was
        part of the northernmost Yugoslav Repulic of Slovenia. Since 1991,
        Slovenia has been an independent country.
        Today, Gottschee is a city and district in Slovenia and is known by
        its
        Slovene name: Koc^evje.

        http://www.gottschee.org/~ghga/ghga.htm

        Surname Query Page URL