Perz as a family name.

  • coramund
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
      Has anyone heard of this name or known anyone with it. It was my
      father's father's last name when he came to the U.S., but when the
      arrived in Chicago, the public schools changed it to Bertz.

      sincerely,
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "coramund" <coramund@h...> wrote:
        > Has anyone heard of this name or known anyone with it. It was my
        > father's father's last name when he came to the U.S., but when the
        > arrived in Chicago, the public schools changed it to Bertz.
        >
        > sincerely,

        What language did your GF speak if he had emigrated to the US ?
        What was his first name ? What year ?

        Probably 450-650 surname Perz bearers just in the USA.
        Ellis Island Records list 202 surnames Perz from Spain, Cuba, Italy, Poland,
        Germany , Austria (Gottschee), Turkey, Yugoslavia, etc.

        RootsWeb's gedcom files list 262 surnames Perz.
        A Perz born in IL in 1892 was a steel mill worker in Chicago IL in 1930.

        Frank K
      • Gil K.