[S-R] Re: how to write village?

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
      > HI FRANK,
      > I DONT KNOW WHAT HIS FIRST NAME WAS YET BUT HOPE TO FIND OUT SOON
      . I WILL
      > AGAIN TRY TO ASK THE FAMILY IN CZ THEY ARE LISTED IN THE HODINEN]
      AREA [I KNOW
      > THAT'S NOT CORRECT SPELLING!]
      > THE TABLE CLOTH HAS LIONS ON IT BUT I HAVE SO MANY CZECH FAMILY IM
      NOT SORE
      > WHOS IT IS THERE ARE PRASEK, JISKRA,NEMECEK,SEDLAR AND COULD BE ANY
      ONE OF
      > THOSE SURS.
      > WEAVING AND NEEDLE WORK WAS COMMON IN THE FAMILY AND I HAVE EVEN AN
      OLD DOLL
      > COSTUME. THE NEMECEK SIDE WAS INVOLVED WITH AN OKENKA IN RESTORING
      THE KUZELOV
      > WINDMILL .
      > I HAVE ALSO A PAINTING OF MY GRANDMOTHER SITTING IN BACK OF THE
      MILL.
      > I SO WISH I WOULD HAVE LISTENED MORE TO THE STORY'S WHEN I WAS I
      LITTLE GIRL
      > THEY WERE SUCH A PROUD FAMILY AND FOR GOOD REASON!
      > OTHER FAMILY NAMES HRBAC,ZAK,JAGOS, MIHALIK,MIKLOSKO,TOMES
      > MAY BE I TALK TOO MUCH!
      > THANKS JENNIFER
      Lipov (1 church) is a small settlement located just east of
      Stráznice
      and 3 miles distant from Kuz^elov (2 churches).
      Kuz^elov is located 160 miles ESE of Praha in Moravia, Czech Republic.
      A even smaller settlement Malá Vrkba is located 2 miles distant
      from
      Kuz^elov and just south of Lipov.

      Ellis Island Records list 1,025 surnames ZAK and 27 surnames OKENKA
      who had emigrated to US 1892-1924.

      The surnames OKENKA were mainly from Malá Vrkba and 5 were from
      Kuz^elov.
      These surnames seemed to be associated with Toledo, Ohio.

      Nemecek is the 97th most common Czech surname.
      A diminutive form of the 21st most common Czech surname Nemec meaning
      "German",

      EIR list 116 surnames NEMECEK who emigrated to US, including 5
      surnames
      from Lipov and 4 surnames from Kuz^elov.

      In 1910, a Katerina Namecek, age 17, born in Malá Vrkba had
      emigrated to
      her brother's Jan (John) Nemecek address in Toledo, Ohio.

      Czech Archives
      http://czechcensus.tripod.com/archives.htm

    • bemimitwo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
        The familles going to Toledo were all related or friends. front St. and then
        Caledonia St.these were OKENKA,ZAK,NEMECEK.AND JISKRAS I found in ellis
        island.
        i am still woundering about the katerina NAMECEK I also saw this name This
        person could have been a cousen to my grandmother? My grand mother was born 1895
        and that would have made her 15 that katerina was 17 but my grand mother did
        have a brother named jan now i really wounder?
        Also i was told that there was family in little vrkba ?
        I lost your last e mail trying to save it can you believe it?
        How do you get this EIR list from ELLIS ISLAND.
        thanks Frank
        jennifer