KRISKO

  • jmcnabb@exchange.vt.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
      My name is Jackie McNabb and I live in Christiansburg, Virginia. I am currently researching my ancestors on my mothers side and am having problems with finding my great-grandfather who was supposedly born in the former Austria-Hungary and died in Conemaugh, PA. I have no dates. His name is George Krisko and was married to Mary Moschak according to information found on my grandfathers social security application. George and Mary had seven children, one of them, Michael Krisko (my grandfather) was born in 1898 in Allegheny, PA. I have names of the other children but no dates. Thanks for any help.

      Jackie McNabb
    • Dan Kisha
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
        Jackie McNabb:

        Is Conemaugh, PA part of Johnstown, Pa. I think I know the family, because
        the name sounds very familiar. Will contact my Uncle, George Hamara from
        Johnstown (86), to find out if he knew them.

        Dan Kisha

        >My name is Jackie McNabb and I live in Christiansburg, Virginia. I am
        currently researching my ancestors on my mothers side and am having problems
        with finding my great-grandfather who was supposedly born in the former
        Austria-Hungary and died in Conemaugh, PA. I have no dates. His name is
        George Krisko and was married to Mary Moschak according to information found
        on my grandfathers social security application. George and Mary had seven
        children, one of them, Michael Krisko (my grandfather) was born in 1898 in
        Allegheny, PA. I have names of the other children but no dates. Thanks for
        any help.

        >Jackie McNabb

        >Campaign 2000 is here!
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist. See our homepage.

      • Dan Kisha
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
          Jackie McNabb:

          Talked to my uncle and his wife and the Kricko's they know are from
          Brownsville, PA, which is a part of Johnstown, Pa. They were Lutheran,
          because they belonged to our church..

          This may be the same family.

          Dan Kisha
          >My name is Jackie McNabb and I live in Christiansburg, Virginia. I am
          currently researching my ancestors on my mothers side and am having problems
          with finding my great-grandfather who was supposedly born in the former
          Austria-Hungary and died in Conemaugh, PA. I have no dates. His name is
          George Krisko and was married to Mary Moschak according to information found
          on my grandfathers social security application. George and Mary had seven
          children, one of them, Michael Krisko (my grandfather) was born in 1898 in
          Allegheny, PA. I have names of the other children but no dates. Thanks for
          any help.

          >Jackie McNabb

          >Campaign 2000 is here!
          >http://www.onelist.com
          >Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist. See our homepage.

        • Joan Hendershot
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
            The name Krisko is a family name for me. My grandfather was Peter Krisko
            from Taylor, Pa. He had a first cousin Charles Vasil Krisko in
            Conemaugh,Pa. I just looked at the 1920 census and there were no Georges
            from Conemaugh.

            There was a Mary Krisko Briggs who was the town clerk in Conemaugh who gave
            me a lot of family information.

            Joan Hendershot
          • LJoh734607@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
            • LJoh734607@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
                Hi Jackie
                Wish i could help but, most of my family settled in Chicago
                Thanks Les -San Francisco
              • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 1999
                  Hi Jackie,

                  Your first step will be to get the appropriate death, marriage and birth
                  information on family group sheets based on what you already know.

                  Then go to your local Family History Center and order the microfilms of
                  the 1920 US census for the location the family was, or order a soundex
                  for the Krisko name for that state. (See the section on US Census on the
                  Hints page if you don't know what that all means.) Work backwards in the
                  census from there to find when they arrived, who was living with whom
                  etc.

                  The other helpful thing you can do is to use the online Social Security
                  Death Index to find information such as birth and death dates on your
                  people. I like that database better than the one available at the FHC
                  because you can limit it to certain states or counties. You may find
                  some good information that way.

                  Hope this helps you.

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                  sabinov@...
                  Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                • Dan Kisha
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 1999
                    Jackie:

                    It is definitely the side of the mountain.

                    Yes, you should.

                    Dan Kisha
                    > I don't know if it is part of Johnstown now, but I know it is close
                    because
                    >my grandmother was born and raised there and that's where they met. My
                    >mother said it is on the side of a mountain, but I have never been there so
                    >I don't know. I should go.
                    >Jackie

                  • RMH
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 1999
                      There were Slovak families in Rockland County, NY and nearby by the name of
                      Kurisko. Do you think that originally it was the same name? Regina Haring
                      > Your first step will be to get the appropriate death, marriage and birth
                      > information on family group sheets based on what you already know.
                      >
                      > Then go to your local Family History Center and order the microfilms of
                      > the 1920 US census for the location the family was, or order a soundex
                      > for the Krisko name for that state. (See the section on US Census on the
                      > Hints page if you don't know what that all means.) Work backwards in the
                      > census from there to find when they arrived, who was living with whom
                      > etc.
                      >
                      > The other helpful thing you can do is to use the online Social Security
                      > Death Index to find information such as birth and death dates on your
                      > people. I like that database better than the one available at the FHC
                      > because you can limit it to certain states or counties. You may find
                      > some good information that way.
                      >
                      > Hope this helps you.
                      >
                      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                      > sabinov@...
                      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      > With more than 20 million e-mails exchanged daily...
                      > http://www.onelist.com
                      > ...ONElist is home to the liveliest discussions on the Internet!

                    • Dollins
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 4, 1999
                        Hello, all you KRISKO researchers. There seem to be several of us.

                        If you want to compare your family with mine, check out this part of my web
                        page: http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/JanPlacko.html

                        All of my Kriskos are from Brezova pod Bradlom, Nitra.

                        Anabeth Dollins
                        axd2@...