Re: [S-R] new member

  • WHew536674@cs.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      I posted this a couple days ago but did not see it come up so I am reposting.
      If I somehow missed it I apologize.

      I have been researching the KRISTOFIK, TOMAZY and GETTLER families that came
      here from Jolsva, Gomor County, Hungary (today - Jelsava, Gemer County,
      Slovakia). For the most part I am finished with the church films and managed to
      trace my family back to the mid 1700s.

      The majority of people that immigrated here from Jelsava settled in Allegheny
      City, PA (today north Pittsburgh). When I did a town search on Searching
      Ellis Island Database in One Step I found about 300 people listed from the town
      that came here. (I suspect there were a lot more.) Out of the 300 I figure
      that 98 were related, one way or the other, to the 3 above names through
      marriage. My goal now is to find the descendants of the people that came from
      Jelsava. I believe the majority of them are in the Pittsburgh area and some in
      Ohio. If this relates to anyone on the list I would love to hear from you.

      Joyce

    • WHew536674@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2004
        Hi Mary,

        Welcome to the list. I was in Banska Bystrica very briefly, but what I saw
        was a charming town and I look forward to going back some time soon and spend
        more time there. Do you know Peter and Ludka Hladky and their two sons, Peter
        and Michael? The boys would be around your age.

        Joyce

      • plcandlez@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2004
          Zuzana,

          Welcome back! What villiage in Slovacia did you come from ?

          Julie Johnston

          In a message dated 4/3/2004 3:22:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          zajacik_2000@... writes:
          hi,

          my name is zuzana and i was born in slovakia. i was a member of this group
          before, but i accidentally removed myself, and so i am coming back after a
          while. i am not looking for my ancestors or family, since i know almost all of them
          :). i am here just to be a quiet reader that can offer some help if needed,
          for example with translation or maybe some other stuff. i am currently living
          in united states and am in my sophmore year of college. last summer i was a
          translator for a couple from this list that went to slovakia to look for some
          family. we found two living ladies that were realated to them.

          that's all about me,

          Zuzana

        • kenny.cartman@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2004
            Zuzana,
            I noticed that your e-mail address contains -cik; I'm assumming as part of your last name. I was wondering if you could answer a question I have had about this ending. Is -cik common, or where is this ending most likely to be found? My maiden name was KASARCIK, possibly LOSARCIK prior to my ancestors coming to America. This is the only line in my family that I cannot find where they came from in Slovakia.

            Thanks,
            Allison
          • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
              -ik or -cik (-cik is actually two endings: -k plus -ik, which makes
              the -k change to -c) is a common ending, it carries a diminutive
              meaning ("little"), which in surnames can often amount to meaning a
              descendant from somebody. Mihalik or Mihalcik could be read as
              Michael's Little Guy, meaning Michael's son, and eventually
              Mihalik/Mihalcik could become fixed as a surname for that family.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
                Thank you Joe, for that information on -ik. It's my name, and I know so little about it.

                Allison