Laskos from Bartos Lehotka

  • Lasko
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hello,

      I am a new subscriber with roots in both the Kremnica and Vrutky areas. My
      ggrandfather was Anton LACZKO (LATZKO) married to Anna Geyer, who lived and
      died in Bartos Lehotka or Kremnica.

      My other ggrandfather Zigmund RUTTKAY came from what is now Vrutky. He
      married Zuzanna Jeszenszky, daughter of Kristof Jeszensky. She was from a
      place called Nagy Jeszen. I am thinking it is the town called Jasene on
      current maps. I am searching for Zigmund's parents names.

      I have an opportunity to travel to Vrutky and Kremnica next month (March,
      2004) and would appreciate advice on how to begin a search of the area.
      Plans are to visit the archives, take pictures of the sites and, as we have
      already identified many people in the Slovak phone directory who could be
      cousins, make some visits and phone calls. Unfortunately I speak only
      English, but am hoping to find someone there to help us with the language.

      Thanks,

      Tom Lasko
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Tom,

        Old Also and Felso (Lower and Upper) Jeszen, today Horne and Dolne Jaseno,
        are just SSW of Martin and Vrutky (old Ruttka). The Jeszenszkys and
        Ruttkays were among quite a group of nobles in that area that intermarried.
        Their names appear over and over in the church records. Most of them were
        Evangelical. My husband's gg-grandmother was a Ruttkay, and there are many
        of them in the area today. We were there during the fall of 2002, and I
        think we found about 20 Ruttkays in the Vrutky phone book-too many to try to
        contact, especially about relationships from the mid-1800s. So we didn't
        bother. But it is a beautiful area to visit. Take lots of pictures.

        We arranged beforehand to have a translator travel with us, but
        she was not easy to find. She actually came all the way from Kosice to help
        us. You will not find English speakers everywhere (they are more likely to
        know German or Russian), so we felt more comfortable having her along.
        Perhaps we could have found someone once we were there, but we didn't want
        to take the chance.

        We were cautioned before we went not to expect to learn very
        much during our visit, that we could do better research right here through
        the LDS records. Our experience bore that out. Joyce seems to echo those
        sentiments as well.

        I have not run into your Zigmund yet, but if I do, I'll let you
        know. It would be helpful if you knew approximately when he was born. In
        turn, I am looking for Susanna, Boldizsar, or Gyorgy Ruttkay, who were
        probably born very early in the 1800s, and their father, Pal. Haven't found
        them yet, but I'm still looking.

        I know you will enjoy your trip. Let us know how you make out.

        Janet

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
          At 12:14 PM 2/2/2004 +1100, you wrote:
          >Hello,
          >
          >Plans are to visit the archives, take pictures of the sites and, as we have
          >already identified many people in the Slovak phone directory who could be
          >cousins, make some visits and phone calls. Unfortunately I speak only
          >English, but am hoping to find someone there to help us with the language.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Tom Lasko

          Perhaps you could send a short letter in Slovak to a few of people you
          found in the book telling them when you will be arriving and that you don't
          speak Slovak. It only takes about seven days for airmail to get there. It
          would seem to me if you get them to start thinking before you arrive they
          might provide more information and possibly have friends or family to
          translate if you visit.

          When I visited, I had relatives that found where the post 1898 village
          registers were located prior to my arrival. In the case of my mother's
          village, they were in town about 15 miles away from her village. My
          father's post 1895 village records were in a village about 3 miles
          away. My wife's grandparents registrars office was also several miles away
          in another village. An advance letter might allow time for them to locate
          the vital statistics office for the village. Although perhaps not
          necessary, a small box of chocolates placed on the counter with your
          papers when you arrive and offered after completion of your request seemed
          to expedite the process. My cousin suggested this approach. He worked
          with the bureaucratic system there for years. The fee for typed copies of
          vital statistics was about one dollar per item as I recall. It was
          purchased in the form of a stamp that was placed on the document. Viewing
          or xerox copying of the actual records was not permitted.

          The Laczko I believe would translate into Lacko in Slovak. My last name
          was Maczko and in Slovak it is Macko. I see there are Lacko in Vrutky and
          Kremnica. There are many Ruttkay in Vrutky.

          John M.
        • tlasko
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25, 2004
            Sorry for the slow reply. Thanks to everyone who supplied great info for our
            trip. It has helped a lot. We have been fortunate to find an
            English-speaking guide in Zilina and she is sending out letters for us as we
            speak and setting up other arrangements.
            Tom Lasko

            on 2/3/04 8:06 AM, John M, at jmatsko4@... wrote:

            At 12:14 PM 2/2/2004 +1100, you wrote:
            >Hello,
            >
            >Plans are to visit the archives, take pictures of the sites and, as we have
            >already identified many people in the Slovak phone directory who could be
            >cousins, make some visits and phone calls. Unfortunately I speak only
            >English, but am hoping to find someone there to help us with the language.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Tom Lasko

            Perhaps you could send a short letter in Slovak to a few of people you
            found in the book telling them when you will be arriving and that you don't
            speak Slovak. It only takes about seven days for airmail to get there. It
            would seem to me if you get them to start thinking before you arrive they
            might provide more information and possibly have friends or family to
            translate if you visit.

            When I visited, I had relatives that found where the post 1898 village
            registers were located prior to my arrival. In the case of my mother's
            village, they were in town about 15 miles away from her village. My
            father's post 1895 village records were in a village about 3 miles
            away. My wife's grandparents registrars office was also several miles away
            in another village. An advance letter might allow time for them to locate
            the vital statistics office for the village. Although perhaps not
            necessary, a small box of chocolates placed on the counter with your
            papers when you arrive and offered after completion of your request seemed
            to expedite the process. My cousin suggested this approach. He worked
            with the bureaucratic system there for years. The fee for typed copies of
            vital statistics was about one dollar per item as I recall. It was
            purchased in the form of a stamp that was placed on the document. Viewing
            or xerox copying of the actual records was not permitted.

            The Laczko I believe would translate into Lacko in Slovak. My last name
            was Maczko and in Slovak it is Macko. I see there are Lacko in Vrutky and
            Kremnica. There are many Ruttkay in Vrutky.

            John M.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT