[S-R] Re: how to write village?

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
      > THANK YOU
      > THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW.
      > I HAVE BEEN LOOKING A LONG TIME AND NOT READY TO GIVE UP YET.
      > I HAVE MADE A CONTACT WITH THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FAMILY BUT THEY
      DO NOT
      > SPEAK ENGLISH.
      > THE JISKRA SIDE ALWAYS A DEAD END SO IT WILL TAKE ARCHIVE SEARCHING.
      > AS MOST JISKRAS ARE IN USA NOW.
      > WOULD ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT THE NEMECEK THAT WAS SENT ALL OVER
      EUROPE TO LEARN
      > WEAVING TECHNIQUES. HE WAS A FAMOUS WEAVER IN HISTORY ACCORDING TO
      MY
      > GRANDPARENT'S?
      > I HAVE BEEN GIVEN PHOTOS, PAINTINGS AND NEEDLE WORK ALSO A TABLE
      COVER THAT
      > LOOKS QUITE OLD WITH FAMILY CREST? OF LIONS ON IT.
      >
      > THANKS TO EVERY ONE FOR THE ADVICE THIS IS A GREAT GROUP!
      > JENNIFER

      What was this surname Nemecek bearer's first name ?

      A family crest for Nemecek ?
      This was a common surname in the sense that there were many bearers
      with this surname.
      They all could not have shared a family crest.

      and loom weaving was carried on in the Lipov area of Czech Republic

      Nemecek is the 97th most common Czech surname.
      A diminutive form of the 21st most common Czech surname Nemec meaning
      "German",
      originally from word ne^my' = mute, deaf.

      http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/n/nemecek.html.

      Frank K
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
        At 08:28 AM 2/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:

        >THE JISKRA SIDE ALWAYS A DEAD END SO IT WILL TAKE ARCHIVE SEARCHING.
        >AS MOST JISKRAS ARE IN USA NOW.

        There are still a few in the Czech republic. There are 24 Jiskra in Prague
        and a few in many of the other regions. Using the online CZ phone book, I
        found none in Lipov (South Moravia region) but there were four in Brno
        (about 60 miles NW) and one in Znojmo. Are you certain the town was
        Lipov? There are several towns that begin with Lipov but have different
        endings such as Lipov-a (7), -ec (2), -ce (1), -ka (2). I found one Jiskra
        in Lipovice SW of Prague.

        http://phonebook.quick.cz/index.php?fce=10&VYMAZFORM=on&id=1

        > WOULD ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT THE NEMECEK THAT WAS SENT ALL OVER EUROPE TO
        > LEARN

        I found 151 Nemecek listings in South Moravia but none in Lipov.

        John M.
      • bemimitwo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
          HI JON
          THANKS FOR LOOKING BUT YES THEY DID LIVE IN LIPOV PRE 1910?THEY DID A LOT OF
          TRAVEL WITH ZAK FAMILY AND SOME OKENKAS. THEN LATER THEY BECAME FAMILY. ALL
          FROM LIPOV AREA AS I KNOW IT.

          THE NEMECEK FAMILY WAS FROM KUZELOV AREA AND IS STILL SOME THERE. I MADE
          CONTACT WITH THEM BUT IS HARD AS THEY DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH AND I DON'T SPEAK
          CZECH!
          I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING FOR A WHILE BUT NEVER GET MUCH OF ANYWHERE ABOUT
          GREAT GRANDFATHER JISKRA.
          I PLAN TO GO TO CZ WHEN I HAVE ENOUGH $$$$ BUT HOPE TO GET AS MUCH
          INFORMATION AS I CAN BEFORE I GO SO I CAN SPEND MORE TIME TO MEET WITH FAMILY.
          THANKS FOR HELPING ...JENNIFER

        • bemimitwo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
            HI FRANK,
            I DONT KNOW WHAT HIS FIRST NAME WAS YET BUT HOPE TO FIND OUT SOON . I WILL
            AGAIN TRY TO ASK THE FAMILY IN CZ THEY ARE LISTED IN THE HODINEN] AREA [I KNOW
            THAT'S NOT CORRECT SPELLING!]
            THE TABLE CLOTH HAS LIONS ON IT BUT I HAVE SO MANY CZECH FAMILY IM NOT SORE
            WHOS IT IS THERE ARE PRASEK, JISKRA,NEMECEK,SEDLAR AND COULD BE ANY ONE OF
            THOSE SURS.
            WEAVING AND NEEDLE WORK WAS COMMON IN THE FAMILY AND I HAVE EVEN AN OLD DOLL
            COSTUME. THE NEMECEK SIDE WAS INVOLVED WITH AN OKENKA IN RESTORING THE KUZELOV
            WINDMILL .
            I HAVE ALSO A PAINTING OF MY GRANDMOTHER SITTING IN BACK OF THE MILL.
            I SO WISH I WOULD HAVE LISTENED MORE TO THE STORY'S WHEN I WAS I LITTLE GIRL
            THEY WERE SUCH A PROUD FAMILY AND FOR GOOD REASON!
            OTHER FAMILY NAMES HRBAC,ZAK,JAGOS, MIHALIK,MIKLOSKO,TOMES
            MAY BE I TALK TOO MUCH!
            THANKS JENNIFER

          • n8de@thepoint.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
              Jennifer,
              Two comments.
              First: Hodonin is located very near to the Slovak border. You should check:

              http://www.iarelative.com/sastin.htm

              you will find some of your surnames listed there. Perhaps I can help, as
              I am also descended from MIHALIK.

              Second: Please type in lower case except for surnames which you should
              put in capitals, as MIHALIK above. Makes for much easier-to-read text.

              Thanks!!
              Don Havlicek
              Connersville, IN

            • bemimitwo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
                Hi Don
                my uncles name was Facis MIHALEK born ? died 1975 of heart condition .
                Frank wed Rose JISKRA born 1920 died 2002. they lived in millbury ohio .
                they had two children Frank and Sylvia.....sylvia has passed away thursday of
                last week .
                is this relation?
                thanks jennifer

              • bemimitwo@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
                  Don correct spelling for Frank..[. MIHALIK.] was looking at records and my
                  sister had it wrong. frank also had a brother John but do not know Jons wifes
                  name only that they had 3 children two boys and one girl.
                  I would like to know more about the iarelated sasten graves of
                  NEMECEK,MIHALIK,ZAK .
                  Thank You again Jennifer

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
                    > HI FRANK,
                    > I DONT KNOW WHAT HIS FIRST NAME WAS YET BUT HOPE TO FIND OUT SOON
                    . I WILL
                    > AGAIN TRY TO ASK THE FAMILY IN CZ THEY ARE LISTED IN THE HODINEN]
                    AREA [I KNOW
                    > THAT'S NOT CORRECT SPELLING!]
                    > THE TABLE CLOTH HAS LIONS ON IT BUT I HAVE SO MANY CZECH FAMILY IM
                    NOT SORE
                    > WHOS IT IS THERE ARE PRASEK, JISKRA,NEMECEK,SEDLAR AND COULD BE ANY
                    ONE OF
                    > THOSE SURS.
                    > WEAVING AND NEEDLE WORK WAS COMMON IN THE FAMILY AND I HAVE EVEN AN
                    OLD DOLL
                    > COSTUME. THE NEMECEK SIDE WAS INVOLVED WITH AN OKENKA IN RESTORING
                    THE KUZELOV
                    > WINDMILL .
                    > I HAVE ALSO A PAINTING OF MY GRANDMOTHER SITTING IN BACK OF THE
                    MILL.
                    > I SO WISH I WOULD HAVE LISTENED MORE TO THE STORY'S WHEN I WAS I
                    LITTLE GIRL
                    > THEY WERE SUCH A PROUD FAMILY AND FOR GOOD REASON!
                    > OTHER FAMILY NAMES HRBAC,ZAK,JAGOS, MIHALIK,MIKLOSKO,TOMES
                    > MAY BE I TALK TOO MUCH!
                    > THANKS JENNIFER
                    Lipov (1 church) is a small settlement located just east of
                    Stráznice
                    and 3 miles distant from Kuz^elov (2 churches).
                    Kuz^elov is located 160 miles ESE of Praha in Moravia, Czech Republic.
                    A even smaller settlement Malá Vrkba is located 2 miles distant
                    from
                    Kuz^elov and just south of Lipov.

                    Ellis Island Records list 1,025 surnames ZAK and 27 surnames OKENKA
                    who had emigrated to US 1892-1924.

                    The surnames OKENKA were mainly from Malá Vrkba and 5 were from
                    Kuz^elov.
                    These surnames seemed to be associated with Toledo, Ohio.

                    Nemecek is the 97th most common Czech surname.
                    A diminutive form of the 21st most common Czech surname Nemec meaning
                    "German",

                    EIR list 116 surnames NEMECEK who emigrated to US, including 5
                    surnames
                    from Lipov and 4 surnames from Kuz^elov.

                    In 1910, a Katerina Namecek, age 17, born in Malá Vrkba had
                    emigrated to
                    her brother's Jan (John) Nemecek address in Toledo, Ohio.

                    Czech Archives
                    http://czechcensus.tripod.com/archives.htm

                  • bemimitwo@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
                      The familles going to Toledo were all related or friends. front St. and then
                      Caledonia St.these were OKENKA,ZAK,NEMECEK.AND JISKRAS I found in ellis
                      island.
                      i am still woundering about the katerina NAMECEK I also saw this name This
                      person could have been a cousen to my grandmother? My grand mother was born 1895
                      and that would have made her 15 that katerina was 17 but my grand mother did
                      have a brother named jan now i really wounder?
                      Also i was told that there was family in little vrkba ?
                      I lost your last e mail trying to save it can you believe it?
                      How do you get this EIR list from ELLIS ISLAND.
                      thanks Frank
                      jennifer