Re: [S-R] Re: how to write village?

  • bemimitwo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
      THANK YOU
      THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW.
      I HAVE BEEN LOOKING A LONG TIME AND NOT READY TO GIVE UP YET.
      I HAVE MADE A CONTACT WITH THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FAMILY BUT THEY DO NOT
      SPEAK ENGLISH.
      THE JISKRA SIDE ALWAYS A DEAD END SO IT WILL TAKE ARCHIVE SEARCHING.
      AS MOST JISKRAS ARE IN USA NOW.
      WOULD ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT THE NEMECEK THAT WAS SENT ALL OVER EUROPE TO LEARN
      WEAVING TECHNIQUES. HE WAS A FAMOUS WEAVER IN HISTORY ACCORDING TO MY
      GRANDPARENT'S?
      I HAVE BEEN GIVEN PHOTOS, PAINTINGS AND NEEDLE WORK ALSO A TABLE COVER THAT
      LOOKS QUITE OLD WITH FAMILY CREST? OF LIONS ON IT.

      THANKS TO EVERY ONE FOR THE ADVICE THIS IS A GREAT GROUP!
      JENNIFER

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
        > THANK YOU
        > THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW.
        > I HAVE BEEN LOOKING A LONG TIME AND NOT READY TO GIVE UP YET.
        > I HAVE MADE A CONTACT WITH THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FAMILY BUT THEY
        DO NOT
        > SPEAK ENGLISH.
        > THE JISKRA SIDE ALWAYS A DEAD END SO IT WILL TAKE ARCHIVE SEARCHING.
        > AS MOST JISKRAS ARE IN USA NOW.
        > WOULD ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT THE NEMECEK THAT WAS SENT ALL OVER
        EUROPE TO LEARN
        > WEAVING TECHNIQUES. HE WAS A FAMOUS WEAVER IN HISTORY ACCORDING TO
        MY
        > GRANDPARENT'S?
        > I HAVE BEEN GIVEN PHOTOS, PAINTINGS AND NEEDLE WORK ALSO A TABLE
        COVER THAT
        > LOOKS QUITE OLD WITH FAMILY CREST? OF LIONS ON IT.
        >
        > THANKS TO EVERY ONE FOR THE ADVICE THIS IS A GREAT GROUP!
        > JENNIFER

        What was this surname Nemecek bearer's first name ?

        A family crest for Nemecek ?
        This was a common surname in the sense that there were many bearers
        with this surname.
        They all could not have shared a family crest.

        and loom weaving was carried on in the Lipov area of Czech Republic

        Nemecek is the 97th most common Czech surname.
        A diminutive form of the 21st most common Czech surname Nemec meaning
        "German",
        originally from word ne^my' = mute, deaf.

        http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/n/nemecek.html.

        Frank K
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
          At 08:28 AM 2/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:

          >THE JISKRA SIDE ALWAYS A DEAD END SO IT WILL TAKE ARCHIVE SEARCHING.
          >AS MOST JISKRAS ARE IN USA NOW.

          There are still a few in the Czech republic. There are 24 Jiskra in Prague
          and a few in many of the other regions. Using the online CZ phone book, I
          found none in Lipov (South Moravia region) but there were four in Brno
          (about 60 miles NW) and one in Znojmo. Are you certain the town was
          Lipov? There are several towns that begin with Lipov but have different
          endings such as Lipov-a (7), -ec (2), -ce (1), -ka (2). I found one Jiskra
          in Lipovice SW of Prague.

          http://phonebook.quick.cz/index.php?fce=10&VYMAZFORM=on&id=1

          > WOULD ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT THE NEMECEK THAT WAS SENT ALL OVER EUROPE TO
          > LEARN

          I found 151 Nemecek listings in South Moravia but none in Lipov.

          John M.
        • bemimitwo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
            HI JON
            THANKS FOR LOOKING BUT YES THEY DID LIVE IN LIPOV PRE 1910?THEY DID A LOT OF
            TRAVEL WITH ZAK FAMILY AND SOME OKENKAS. THEN LATER THEY BECAME FAMILY. ALL
            FROM LIPOV AREA AS I KNOW IT.

            THE NEMECEK FAMILY WAS FROM KUZELOV AREA AND IS STILL SOME THERE. I MADE
            CONTACT WITH THEM BUT IS HARD AS THEY DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH AND I DON'T SPEAK
            CZECH!
            I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING FOR A WHILE BUT NEVER GET MUCH OF ANYWHERE ABOUT
            GREAT GRANDFATHER JISKRA.
            I PLAN TO GO TO CZ WHEN I HAVE ENOUGH $$$$ BUT HOPE TO GET AS MUCH
            INFORMATION AS I CAN BEFORE I GO SO I CAN SPEND MORE TIME TO MEET WITH FAMILY.
            THANKS FOR HELPING ...JENNIFER

          • bemimitwo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
              HI FRANK,
              I DONT KNOW WHAT HIS FIRST NAME WAS YET BUT HOPE TO FIND OUT SOON . I WILL
              AGAIN TRY TO ASK THE FAMILY IN CZ THEY ARE LISTED IN THE HODINEN] AREA [I KNOW
              THAT'S NOT CORRECT SPELLING!]
              THE TABLE CLOTH HAS LIONS ON IT BUT I HAVE SO MANY CZECH FAMILY IM NOT SORE
              WHOS IT IS THERE ARE PRASEK, JISKRA,NEMECEK,SEDLAR AND COULD BE ANY ONE OF
              THOSE SURS.
              WEAVING AND NEEDLE WORK WAS COMMON IN THE FAMILY AND I HAVE EVEN AN OLD DOLL
              COSTUME. THE NEMECEK SIDE WAS INVOLVED WITH AN OKENKA IN RESTORING THE KUZELOV
              WINDMILL .
              I HAVE ALSO A PAINTING OF MY GRANDMOTHER SITTING IN BACK OF THE MILL.
              I SO WISH I WOULD HAVE LISTENED MORE TO THE STORY'S WHEN I WAS I LITTLE GIRL
              THEY WERE SUCH A PROUD FAMILY AND FOR GOOD REASON!
              OTHER FAMILY NAMES HRBAC,ZAK,JAGOS, MIHALIK,MIKLOSKO,TOMES
              MAY BE I TALK TOO MUCH!
              THANKS JENNIFER

            • n8de@thepoint.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
                Jennifer,
                Two comments.
                First: Hodonin is located very near to the Slovak border. You should check:

                http://www.iarelative.com/sastin.htm

                you will find some of your surnames listed there. Perhaps I can help, as
                I am also descended from MIHALIK.

                Second: Please type in lower case except for surnames which you should
                put in capitals, as MIHALIK above. Makes for much easier-to-read text.

                Thanks!!
                Don Havlicek
                Connersville, IN

              • bemimitwo@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
                  Hi Don
                  my uncles name was Facis MIHALEK born ? died 1975 of heart condition .
                  Frank wed Rose JISKRA born 1920 died 2002. they lived in millbury ohio .
                  they had two children Frank and Sylvia.....sylvia has passed away thursday of
                  last week .
                  is this relation?
                  thanks jennifer

                • bemimitwo@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
                    Don correct spelling for Frank..[. MIHALIK.] was looking at records and my
                    sister had it wrong. frank also had a brother John but do not know Jons wifes
                    name only that they had 3 children two boys and one girl.
                    I would like to know more about the iarelated sasten graves of
                    NEMECEK,MIHALIK,ZAK .
                    Thank You again Jennifer

                  • Frank
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
                      > HI FRANK,
                      > I DONT KNOW WHAT HIS FIRST NAME WAS YET BUT HOPE TO FIND OUT SOON
                      . I WILL
                      > AGAIN TRY TO ASK THE FAMILY IN CZ THEY ARE LISTED IN THE HODINEN]
                      AREA [I KNOW
                      > THAT'S NOT CORRECT SPELLING!]
                      > THE TABLE CLOTH HAS LIONS ON IT BUT I HAVE SO MANY CZECH FAMILY IM
                      NOT SORE
                      > WHOS IT IS THERE ARE PRASEK, JISKRA,NEMECEK,SEDLAR AND COULD BE ANY
                      ONE OF
                      > THOSE SURS.
                      > WEAVING AND NEEDLE WORK WAS COMMON IN THE FAMILY AND I HAVE EVEN AN
                      OLD DOLL
                      > COSTUME. THE NEMECEK SIDE WAS INVOLVED WITH AN OKENKA IN RESTORING
                      THE KUZELOV
                      > WINDMILL .
                      > I HAVE ALSO A PAINTING OF MY GRANDMOTHER SITTING IN BACK OF THE
                      MILL.
                      > I SO WISH I WOULD HAVE LISTENED MORE TO THE STORY'S WHEN I WAS I
                      LITTLE GIRL
                      > THEY WERE SUCH A PROUD FAMILY AND FOR GOOD REASON!
                      > OTHER FAMILY NAMES HRBAC,ZAK,JAGOS, MIHALIK,MIKLOSKO,TOMES
                      > MAY BE I TALK TOO MUCH!
                      > THANKS JENNIFER
                      Lipov (1 church) is a small settlement located just east of
                      Stráznice
                      and 3 miles distant from Kuz^elov (2 churches).
                      Kuz^elov is located 160 miles ESE of Praha in Moravia, Czech Republic.
                      A even smaller settlement Malá Vrkba is located 2 miles distant
                      from
                      Kuz^elov and just south of Lipov.

                      Ellis Island Records list 1,025 surnames ZAK and 27 surnames OKENKA
                      who had emigrated to US 1892-1924.

                      The surnames OKENKA were mainly from Malá Vrkba and 5 were from
                      Kuz^elov.
                      These surnames seemed to be associated with Toledo, Ohio.

                      Nemecek is the 97th most common Czech surname.
                      A diminutive form of the 21st most common Czech surname Nemec meaning
                      "German",

                      EIR list 116 surnames NEMECEK who emigrated to US, including 5
                      surnames
                      from Lipov and 4 surnames from Kuz^elov.

                      In 1910, a Katerina Namecek, age 17, born in Malá Vrkba had
                      emigrated to
                      her brother's Jan (John) Nemecek address in Toledo, Ohio.

                      Czech Archives
                      http://czechcensus.tripod.com/archives.htm

                    • bemimitwo@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
                        The familles going to Toledo were all related or friends. front St. and then
                        Caledonia St.these were OKENKA,ZAK,NEMECEK.AND JISKRAS I found in ellis
                        island.
                        i am still woundering about the katerina NAMECEK I also saw this name This
                        person could have been a cousen to my grandmother? My grand mother was born 1895
                        and that would have made her 15 that katerina was 17 but my grand mother did
                        have a brother named jan now i really wounder?
                        Also i was told that there was family in little vrkba ?
                        I lost your last e mail trying to save it can you believe it?
                        How do you get this EIR list from ELLIS ISLAND.
                        thanks Frank
                        jennifer