RE: [S-R] new to list

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
      Hi Werdna,
      Welcome to the list. Don't be slighted by silence. It happens when no one
      has anything to offer. Most family searches are more sucessful by keying
      off of the ancestral village, since the same surname can show up in other
      villages entirely related and b) archival records are organized
      geographically.

      How much information have you gathered thus far?

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
        Hey Bill,

        Oh no my name is Andrew Waber lol. I use the reverse of my name just
        for kicks lol. I believe I've seen your name somewhere... are you a
        member of the Slovak-L rootsweb mail list? I am on there under my
        other email brainiac1082. Well me and my aunt we've pretty much
        located the towns... the Dvorskys come from Fricovce (commonly
        misspelled as "Frics" in some of the ship lists) and Harnises and
        Pekarciks come from Dvorce (Spisska Zupa) near Presov and Levoca.

        --Andrew

        <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
        > Hi Werdna,
        > Welcome to the list. Don't be slighted by silence. It happens
        when no one
        > has anything to offer. Most family searches are more sucessful by
        keying
        > off of the ancestral village, since the same surname can show up
        in other
        > villages entirely related and b) archival records are organized
        > geographically.
        >
        > How much information have you gathered thus far?
        >
        > ______________
        > Bill Tarkulich
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Werdna Rebaw" <wabnoles@y...> wrote:
          > Hello everybody!
          >
          > Just wanted you to know that I am new to this list. My aunt
          > (rgarrison) is also a member of this list. Anyone here have
          > connections to the Harnis, Dvorsky, Brevosky, Pekarcik, Petrik, or
          > Konecny surnames? The first four I am biologically descended from
          > the last two are through marriage. There is also Bahleda and Abela
          > which I am related to through marriage.
          >
          > --Andrew
          >
          > PS does anyone know the Slovak variation of Veronica? I know the
          > Polish variation is Weronika.

          Veronica
          Weronika (Polish) because Polish letter "w" is pron. v.
          Veronike (German)
          Veronika/Veronka (Czech,Slovak, Hungarian)
        • Werdna Rebaw
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
            My thanks to those of you who replied to me on this list and in
            emails. You have been most helpful.

            --Andrew
          • Karen Kabat
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30, 2006
              Thanks to all of you who replied to my query about a wife becoming a citizen when her husband did. I had always been told that was the case, but wanted to substantiate it. Unfortunately, although my grandmother was here in the states for over 60 years, she never learned to speak English and regretfully I never learned to speak Slovak. But of course, when I was a child I didn't know what questions to ask her as I do now.

              Karen Kabat