new to list

  • Werdna Rebaw
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
      Hello everybody!

      Just wanted you to know that I am new to this list. My aunt
      (rgarrison) is also a member of this list. Anyone here have
      connections to the Harnis, Dvorsky, Brevosky, Pekarcik, Petrik, or
      Konecny surnames? The first four I am biologically descended from
      the last two are through marriage. There is also Bahleda and Abela
      which I am related to through marriage.

      --Andrew

      PS does anyone know the Slovak variation of Veronica? I know the
      Polish variation is Weronika.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
        Hi Werdna,
        Welcome to the list. Don't be slighted by silence. It happens when no one
        has anything to offer. Most family searches are more sucessful by keying
        off of the ancestral village, since the same surname can show up in other
        villages entirely related and b) archival records are organized
        geographically.

        How much information have you gathered thus far?

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Just wanted you to know that I am new to this list. My aunt
        (rgarrison) is also a member of this list. Anyone here have
        connections to the Harnis, Dvorsky, Brevosky, Pekarcik, Petrik, or
        Konecny surnames? The first four I am biologically descended from
        the last two are through marriage. There is also Bahleda and Abela
        which I am related to through marriage.

        --Andrew

        PS does anyone know the Slovak variation of Veronica? I know the
        Polish variation is Weronika.

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM

      • Werdna Rebaw
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
          Hey Bill,

          Oh no my name is Andrew Waber lol. I use the reverse of my name just
          for kicks lol. I believe I've seen your name somewhere... are you a
          member of the Slovak-L rootsweb mail list? I am on there under my
          other email brainiac1082. Well me and my aunt we've pretty much
          located the towns... the Dvorskys come from Fricovce (commonly
          misspelled as "Frics" in some of the ship lists) and Harnises and
          Pekarciks come from Dvorce (Spisska Zupa) near Presov and Levoca.

          --Andrew

          <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
          > Hi Werdna,
          > Welcome to the list. Don't be slighted by silence. It happens
          when no one
          > has anything to offer. Most family searches are more sucessful by
          keying
          > off of the ancestral village, since the same surname can show up
          in other
          > villages entirely related and b) archival records are organized
          > geographically.
          >
          > How much information have you gathered thus far?
          >
          > ______________
          > Bill Tarkulich
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Werdna Rebaw" <wabnoles@y...> wrote:
            > Hello everybody!
            >
            > Just wanted you to know that I am new to this list. My aunt
            > (rgarrison) is also a member of this list. Anyone here have
            > connections to the Harnis, Dvorsky, Brevosky, Pekarcik, Petrik, or
            > Konecny surnames? The first four I am biologically descended from
            > the last two are through marriage. There is also Bahleda and Abela
            > which I am related to through marriage.
            >
            > --Andrew
            >
            > PS does anyone know the Slovak variation of Veronica? I know the
            > Polish variation is Weronika.

            Veronica
            Weronika (Polish) because Polish letter "w" is pron. v.
            Veronike (German)
            Veronika/Veronka (Czech,Slovak, Hungarian)
          • Werdna Rebaw
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
              My thanks to those of you who replied to me on this list and in
              emails. You have been most helpful.

              --Andrew
            • Karen Kabat
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 30, 2006
                Thanks to all of you who replied to my query about a wife becoming a citizen when her husband did. I had always been told that was the case, but wanted to substantiate it. Unfortunately, although my grandmother was here in the states for over 60 years, she never learned to speak English and regretfully I never learned to speak Slovak. But of course, when I was a child I didn't know what questions to ask her as I do now.

                Karen Kabat