Re: Hrusov Church Records

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...>
      wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records
      for
      > Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.
      >
      > The LDS website only lists records for the Reformed Church, but
      nothing
      > on the Roman Catholic.
      >
      > When I looked under Levoca Roman Catholic Church records, it also
      lists
      > several other villages, but not Hrusov.
      >
      > I was wondering if these records may have been combined with another
      > village. Or is there no Roman Catholic church in Hrusov, and they
      > traveled to the Church in Levoca?
      >
      > Any insight would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) Leutschau (G) is located near Spis^ská
      Nová Ves.
      A Hrus^ov is located 92 miles and 145 miles
      distant, respectively
      plus anotherone
      near Trebis^ov and one in western Slovakia.
      So it must be Spis^sky' Hrus^ov (Sk)
      Szepeskörtyélyes (H)
      located 8 miles distant from Levoc^a.

      LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records
      (1713-1896)

      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      1739903
      1739885

      But, 8 miles one-way was too far to walk to church.
      Sure it wasn't Spis^sky' Hrhov located 3 miles
      distant from Levoc^a ?
      The LDS-Mormons have also filmed its R.C. parish
      church records
      (1733-1896)

      Frank K
    • Gary Costel
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
        Message: 17
        Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:20:33 -0700
        From: "John M," <jmatsko4@...>
        Subject: Re: Hrusov Church Records

        At 07:17 PM 1/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:

        >>Hello All,
        >>
        >>Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records
        for
        >>Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.

        >I believe there are four Hrusov in Slovakia but none near Levoca. The
        >closest I could come to that was Klc^ov, which is six miles SE of
        >Levoca. How did you determine Hrusov was near Levoca?

        >John M.

        Thanks to all re my original inquiry.

        The family name(s) that I am researching are KALMAN and BOCKAJ.

        My g-grandmother was a Kalman, and told the family that she was from
        Hrusov. Her sister (my g-g-aunt) told her family she was "born in
        Hrusov, a small village near Levoca in Spis County". They were born in
        the 1860's / 1870's. The above is a bit choppy, I know, but is all I
        have to go on.

        I am interested in finding the RC records for the church in Levoca, and
        one in Hrusov, if a church existed there at all. I would assume the RC
        church only existed in Levoca, and that's where they attended.

        Does anyone also know the name of the RC Church in Levoca? Is there a
        way that I can get a "history" of the church and possible even a
        picture?

        I will gladly pay any fees for copying, etc.

        Please fell free to email me direct at: gcostel64@...

        Thanks,
        Gary