Re: [S-R] Hrusov Church Records

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
      At 07:17 PM 1/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:

      >Hello All,
      >
      >Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records for
      >Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.

      I believe there are four Hrusov in Slovakia but none near Levoca. The
      closest I could come to that was Klc^ov, which is six miles SE of
      Levoca. How did you determine Hrusov was near Levoca?

      John M.
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...>
        wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records
        for
        > Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.
        >
        > The LDS website only lists records for the Reformed Church, but
        nothing
        > on the Roman Catholic.
        >
        > When I looked under Levoca Roman Catholic Church records, it also
        lists
        > several other villages, but not Hrusov.
        >
        > I was wondering if these records may have been combined with another
        > village. Or is there no Roman Catholic church in Hrusov, and they
        > traveled to the Church in Levoca?
        >
        > Any insight would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) Leutschau (G) is located near Spis^ská
        Nová Ves.
        A Hrus^ov is located 92 miles and 145 miles
        distant, respectively
        plus anotherone
        near Trebis^ov and one in western Slovakia.
        So it must be Spis^sky' Hrus^ov (Sk)
        Szepeskörtyélyes (H)
        located 8 miles distant from Levoc^a.

        LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records
        (1713-1896)

        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        1739903
        1739885

        But, 8 miles one-way was too far to walk to church.
        Sure it wasn't Spis^sky' Hrhov located 3 miles
        distant from Levoc^a ?
        The LDS-Mormons have also filmed its R.C. parish
        church records
        (1733-1896)

        Frank K
      • Gary Costel
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
          Message: 17
          Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:20:33 -0700
          From: "John M," <jmatsko4@...>
          Subject: Re: Hrusov Church Records

          At 07:17 PM 1/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:

          >>Hello All,
          >>
          >>Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records
          for
          >>Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.

          >I believe there are four Hrusov in Slovakia but none near Levoca. The
          >closest I could come to that was Klc^ov, which is six miles SE of
          >Levoca. How did you determine Hrusov was near Levoca?

          >John M.

          Thanks to all re my original inquiry.

          The family name(s) that I am researching are KALMAN and BOCKAJ.

          My g-grandmother was a Kalman, and told the family that she was from
          Hrusov. Her sister (my g-g-aunt) told her family she was "born in
          Hrusov, a small village near Levoca in Spis County". They were born in
          the 1860's / 1870's. The above is a bit choppy, I know, but is all I
          have to go on.

          I am interested in finding the RC records for the church in Levoca, and
          one in Hrusov, if a church existed there at all. I would assume the RC
          church only existed in Levoca, and that's where they attended.

          Does anyone also know the name of the RC Church in Levoca? Is there a
          way that I can get a "history" of the church and possible even a
          picture?

          I will gladly pay any fees for copying, etc.

          Please fell free to email me direct at: gcostel64@...

          Thanks,
          Gary