Re: [S-R] Hrusov Church Records

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
      I think you want the films for Spissky Hrusov:

      Film #1739885: 1861-1896 parts 1-2 and film #1739903: 1713-1861 parts 6-9

      Former Hungarian and German names of present day Spiaský Hruaov (postal
      code: 053 63)

      1253 - Kurtues
      1255 - Kurtuelus
      1294 - Horusk, Hurusk
      1364 - Hruschfálva, Hruskfálva
      1368 - Grussov
      1386 - Graucza
      1495 - Gravross
      1500 - Hrussow
      1773 - Grussow, Körtvélyes, Körtvélesz, Bierndorff
      1786 - Hrussow, Körtvélyes, Körtwélyesch, Birndorf
      1808 - Grausch, Hrussow, Körtvélyes, Birndorf
      1863-1902 - Körtvélyes
      1907-1918 - Szepeskörtvélyes, Grausch, Birndorf
      1920 - Hruaov
      1927 - Spiaský Hruaov

      Spiaský Hruaov is 38 km (24 miles) west of Preaov, 10 km (6 miles) east
      of Spiaská Nová Ves, 46 km (29 miles) northwest of Koaice, 12 km
      southeast of Levoc(a, and 300 km (195 miles) northeast of Bratislava.

      Try this URL (be patient, the server is often not available):

      <http://www.gymsnv.sk/%7Ed1sk/x0dsofj/>

      http://www.gymsnv.sk/~d1sk/x0dsofj/ <http://www.gymsnv.sk/%7Ed1sk/x0dsofj/>

      What family name/s are you looking for?

      You're welcome.

      Dr. "Q"

      Gary Costel wrote:

      >Hello All,
      >
      >Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records for
      >Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.
      >
      >The LDS website only lists records for the Reformed Church, but nothing
      >on the Roman Catholic.
      >
      >When I looked under Levoca Roman Catholic Church records, it also lists
      >several other villages, but not Hrusov.
      >
      >I was wondering if these records may have been combined with another
      >village. Or is there no Roman Catholic church in Hrusov, and they
      >traveled to the Church in Levoca?
      >
      >Any insight would be appreciated.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Gary

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
        At 07:17 PM 1/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:

        >Hello All,
        >
        >Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records for
        >Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.

        I believe there are four Hrusov in Slovakia but none near Levoca. The
        closest I could come to that was Klc^ov, which is six miles SE of
        Levoca. How did you determine Hrusov was near Levoca?

        John M.
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...>
          wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records
          for
          > Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.
          >
          > The LDS website only lists records for the Reformed Church, but
          nothing
          > on the Roman Catholic.
          >
          > When I looked under Levoca Roman Catholic Church records, it also
          lists
          > several other villages, but not Hrusov.
          >
          > I was wondering if these records may have been combined with another
          > village. Or is there no Roman Catholic church in Hrusov, and they
          > traveled to the Church in Levoca?
          >
          > Any insight would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) Leutschau (G) is located near Spis^ská
          Nová Ves.
          A Hrus^ov is located 92 miles and 145 miles
          distant, respectively
          plus anotherone
          near Trebis^ov and one in western Slovakia.
          So it must be Spis^sky' Hrus^ov (Sk)
          Szepeskörtyélyes (H)
          located 8 miles distant from Levoc^a.

          LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records
          (1713-1896)

          Text in Latin and Hungarian.

          film #
          1739903
          1739885

          But, 8 miles one-way was too far to walk to church.
          Sure it wasn't Spis^sky' Hrhov located 3 miles
          distant from Levoc^a ?
          The LDS-Mormons have also filmed its R.C. parish
          church records
          (1733-1896)

          Frank K
        • Gary Costel
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
            Message: 17
            Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:20:33 -0700
            From: "John M," <jmatsko4@...>
            Subject: Re: Hrusov Church Records

            At 07:17 PM 1/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:

            >>Hello All,
            >>
            >>Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records
            for
            >>Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.

            >I believe there are four Hrusov in Slovakia but none near Levoca. The
            >closest I could come to that was Klc^ov, which is six miles SE of
            >Levoca. How did you determine Hrusov was near Levoca?

            >John M.

            Thanks to all re my original inquiry.

            The family name(s) that I am researching are KALMAN and BOCKAJ.

            My g-grandmother was a Kalman, and told the family that she was from
            Hrusov. Her sister (my g-g-aunt) told her family she was "born in
            Hrusov, a small village near Levoca in Spis County". They were born in
            the 1860's / 1870's. The above is a bit choppy, I know, but is all I
            have to go on.

            I am interested in finding the RC records for the church in Levoca, and
            one in Hrusov, if a church existed there at all. I would assume the RC
            church only existed in Levoca, and that's where they attended.

            Does anyone also know the name of the RC Church in Levoca? Is there a
            way that I can get a "history" of the church and possible even a
            picture?

            I will gladly pay any fees for copying, etc.

            Please fell free to email me direct at: gcostel64@...

            Thanks,
            Gary