RE: [S-R] Hrusov Church Records

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
      It's possible there was no RC church in Hrusov.

      Things you can do:
      1. check neighboring villages.
      2. Check RC church web site for parish directory (farnosti) see
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/churches.htm#presentdaychurch , but I
      believe the diocese you seek has not been completely published to the web
      3. consult "Prehlad matrík na Slovensku do zostátnenia matricnej agendy"
      Index of Slovak State Archives Church Records, see
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/churches.htm LDS # Fiche 6000786

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
        I think you want the films for Spissky Hrusov:

        Film #1739885: 1861-1896 parts 1-2 and film #1739903: 1713-1861 parts 6-9

        Former Hungarian and German names of present day Spiaský Hruaov (postal
        code: 053 63)

        1253 - Kurtues
        1255 - Kurtuelus
        1294 - Horusk, Hurusk
        1364 - Hruschfálva, Hruskfálva
        1368 - Grussov
        1386 - Graucza
        1495 - Gravross
        1500 - Hrussow
        1773 - Grussow, Körtvélyes, Körtvélesz, Bierndorff
        1786 - Hrussow, Körtvélyes, Körtwélyesch, Birndorf
        1808 - Grausch, Hrussow, Körtvélyes, Birndorf
        1863-1902 - Körtvélyes
        1907-1918 - Szepeskörtvélyes, Grausch, Birndorf
        1920 - Hruaov
        1927 - Spiaský Hruaov

        Spiaský Hruaov is 38 km (24 miles) west of Preaov, 10 km (6 miles) east
        of Spiaská Nová Ves, 46 km (29 miles) northwest of Koaice, 12 km
        southeast of Levoc(a, and 300 km (195 miles) northeast of Bratislava.

        Try this URL (be patient, the server is often not available):

        <http://www.gymsnv.sk/%7Ed1sk/x0dsofj/>

        http://www.gymsnv.sk/~d1sk/x0dsofj/ <http://www.gymsnv.sk/%7Ed1sk/x0dsofj/>

        What family name/s are you looking for?

        You're welcome.

        Dr. "Q"

        Gary Costel wrote:

        >Hello All,
        >
        >Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records for
        >Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.
        >
        >The LDS website only lists records for the Reformed Church, but nothing
        >on the Roman Catholic.
        >
        >When I looked under Levoca Roman Catholic Church records, it also lists
        >several other villages, but not Hrusov.
        >
        >I was wondering if these records may have been combined with another
        >village. Or is there no Roman Catholic church in Hrusov, and they
        >traveled to the Church in Levoca?
        >
        >Any insight would be appreciated.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Gary

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
          At 07:17 PM 1/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:

          >Hello All,
          >
          >Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records for
          >Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.

          I believe there are four Hrusov in Slovakia but none near Levoca. The
          closest I could come to that was Klc^ov, which is six miles SE of
          Levoca. How did you determine Hrusov was near Levoca?

          John M.
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...>
            wrote:

            > Hello All,
            >
            > Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records
            for
            > Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.
            >
            > The LDS website only lists records for the Reformed Church, but
            nothing
            > on the Roman Catholic.
            >
            > When I looked under Levoca Roman Catholic Church records, it also
            lists
            > several other villages, but not Hrusov.
            >
            > I was wondering if these records may have been combined with another
            > village. Or is there no Roman Catholic church in Hrusov, and they
            > traveled to the Church in Levoca?
            >
            > Any insight would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) Leutschau (G) is located near Spis^ská
            Nová Ves.
            A Hrus^ov is located 92 miles and 145 miles
            distant, respectively
            plus anotherone
            near Trebis^ov and one in western Slovakia.
            So it must be Spis^sky' Hrus^ov (Sk)
            Szepeskörtyélyes (H)
            located 8 miles distant from Levoc^a.

            LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records
            (1713-1896)

            Text in Latin and Hungarian.

            film #
            1739903
            1739885

            But, 8 miles one-way was too far to walk to church.
            Sure it wasn't Spis^sky' Hrhov located 3 miles
            distant from Levoc^a ?
            The LDS-Mormons have also filmed its R.C. parish
            church records
            (1733-1896)

            Frank K
          • Gary Costel
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
              Message: 17
              Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:20:33 -0700
              From: "John M," <jmatsko4@...>
              Subject: Re: Hrusov Church Records

              At 07:17 PM 1/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:

              >>Hello All,
              >>
              >>Does anybody know if the LDS have the Roman Catholic Church Records
              for
              >>Hrusov, Slovakia available? Hrusov is near Levoca.

              >I believe there are four Hrusov in Slovakia but none near Levoca. The
              >closest I could come to that was Klc^ov, which is six miles SE of
              >Levoca. How did you determine Hrusov was near Levoca?

              >John M.

              Thanks to all re my original inquiry.

              The family name(s) that I am researching are KALMAN and BOCKAJ.

              My g-grandmother was a Kalman, and told the family that she was from
              Hrusov. Her sister (my g-g-aunt) told her family she was "born in
              Hrusov, a small village near Levoca in Spis County". They were born in
              the 1860's / 1870's. The above is a bit choppy, I know, but is all I
              have to go on.

              I am interested in finding the RC records for the church in Levoca, and
              one in Hrusov, if a church existed there at all. I would assume the RC
              church only existed in Levoca, and that's where they attended.

              Does anyone also know the name of the RC Church in Levoca? Is there a
              way that I can get a "history" of the church and possible even a
              picture?

              I will gladly pay any fees for copying, etc.

              Please fell free to email me direct at: gcostel64@...

              Thanks,
              Gary