Re: [S-R] Re: Town of Divina

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2004
      Had to figure that the first syllable is a negator. I think primitive
      people everywhere apply such names to outlanders (and let's face it, the
      Slavs were primitive compared to the Germanic peoples who had benefited more
      from contact with the Greco-Roman world). It is why the word "dumb" still
      has two meanings in the common usage. This reminds me of a great scene from
      the film Blackrobe. The earnest young Jesuit had studied this Indian
      language and was carefully practicing it on a couple of warriors, who look
      askance at each other and say, "Why can't this man speak properly, is he
      stupid?"