Re: [S-R] Hello group

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2004
      Hello Keith,

      Your family (Turjanica and Stankovics) is clearly Carpatho-Rusyn, or simply,
      Rusyn, not Slovak.

      > My Maternal Grandmother's maiden name was 'Turjanica'. I don't know
      > if this is the right spelling but it could be close. My Grandfather's
      > name was Stankovics.

      These are common, even typical, Rusyn surnames.

      > Apparently they came from the same general region. The only village
      > name I have so far is Holobine which may be in Berseha Zuppa county.

      That's Holubynne / Holubynnoje in the old Austro-Hungarian county of Bereg.
      In Rusyn Bereg County was called Beretska zhupa. It's very close to the
      regional town of Svaljava / Svaliava.

      Today this is located in the Zakarpatska oblast -- that is, the
      Transcarpathian region -- of Ukraine. Between the World Wars it was part of
      the autonomous province of Czechoslovakia called Subcarpathian Rus' /
      Carpatho-Ruthenia or just Ruthenia. Before WWI it was part of the Kingdom
      of Hungary / the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Subcarpathian Rus' was never part
      of Slovakia.

      Let me refer you here:
      http://www.rusynmedia.org/Documents/General/c-r_eng.html

      There are also present-day and historical maps of the region on this page:
      http://www.rusynmedia.org/Documents/General/c-r_eng.html

      > My cousin has a fair bit more research done and will be sharing the
      > info that she's collected and when I get it I can ask some more
      > specific questions.
      > Ultimately, I'd love to find out if there are relatives in Slovokia
      > that I can go and visit (my Cousin seems to think there are)and
      > simply trod the same earth as my forebearers did, many years ago.

      You need to be doing research in present-day Ukraine, which is quite a bit
      more challenging than research in Slovakia.

      Here are some starting links for Rusyn genealogy.
      http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/

      http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/Committees/Genealogy/links.htm

      http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/

      Good luck!

      Rich Custer
    • Keith Slicner
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2004
        Rich, thank you very much! I am very grateful for the information you
        have provided. It's a terrific starting point for my research. Thanks
        again!! KS
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Custer"