Surname: CERNY - Bohemia, Czechoslovakia

  • Rosamken@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 1999
      My name is Rosemary. I am searching for information regarding my
      grandmother. I was always told that she was born in Penn.....but now
      conflicting information indicated that she was born in Bohemia, Czech,
      9-18-1888. I am not sure of her migration...but she married in NYC, unknown
      date. She married Gaetano Monastra.

      Her given name, as I knew it, is Minnie...but again conflicting information
      indicates that her given name might be Filomena. She had a sister named
      Elizabeth Cerny Vancura, and a brother Maximillan Cerny. Uncle Max lived in
      Westbury, Long Island. Unknown where Elizabeth lived.

      I have posted on many boards....but no luck. Any help you can give me will
      be greatly appreciated....I have also sent for her death cert to verify this
      information, as information left to me by my mother has been incorrect. And
      my Dad, bless him, is not talking.

      Thank you and God Bless You

      Rosemary - Las Vegas
      Searching for: Monastra, Bastanzio, Cerny (aka Cerney) Cianci, Chippari, &
      Gillson
    • Maura Petzolt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hello Rosemary,

        Do you do any research at your local Family History Center? That is the
        place you would need to go to order microfilms of US census and other
        films to document your family.

        Posting messages on boards and lists are a great help, and many times a
        connection can be made, however, if at all possible everyone should
        research at the FHC.

        You need to start with the death certificate of that person, then go to
        the 1920 US census, or that last available census for that person's life
        (some counties in NY for example have a 1925 census). Then you trace
        them backwards until their birth.

        The Czech Republic has not allowed the LDS church to microfilm their
        records, so you would have to request a search of their archives through
        them. In my experience, this takes a long time, but it is worth it.
        However, you must do your work in the US on the person first.

        You can get many hints and explanation on my Helpful Hints website, url
        below.

        Hope this helps you some....

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • LJoh734607@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 1999
          Hi Rosemary:
          Sorry I can't help you there most of my family settled in Chicago
          Thanks Les-San Francisco
        • Rosamken@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 1999
            Maura:

            thanks for your advice..I do have a FHC nearby. I plan on going there in the
            next week or so.....It is so hot here in Vegas (122 in our neighboorhood
            today) I try not to go many places in the heat.

            Right now I am having trouble getting the death cert....said she is
            unknown...and I know she died and have personal knowledge of the date...so I
            will try again.

            I have heard that about Czech and the FHC center.....I can only hope that I
            can get some information from the census. I am involved with a group on
            www.delphi.com, and they have connections with czech and slovak republic.
            They are a wonderful group of people. So hopefully when I can get a firm
            starting date I will be able to work from there....it is so frustrating some
            times.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 1999
              Thanks anyway....the mystery deepens... ((grin)))

              Rosemary - Las Vegas
            • PRabich@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 1999
                Hi Rosemary,

                I had this same problem when trying to get my Grandmother's Death
                Certificate. I knew the date she died, the nursing home, and the location.
                I found out that she died under a different name.

                She married my Grandfather Joseph Rebic and somewhere along the line they
                changed their name to RABICH. When my grandfather died, he died as Joseph
                Rabich, but when my Grandmother died she died as Julia Rebic.

                Could this be what happened?

                Pat Rabich Benetis
              • Rosamken@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 1999
                  In a message dated 7/2/99 9:35:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, PRabich@...
                  writes:

                  << I had this same problem when trying to get my Grandmother's Death
                  Certificate. I knew the date she died, the nursing home, and the location.
                  I found out that she died under a different name. >>

                  the cemetery responded once.....so I am going to wait and try again in a few
                  weeks.

                  This really has me stumped