Re: Soltese?

  • Judy Whitaker
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2000
      Maura, I was the one who inquired about the Stary family in Sabinov. On my great-grandfather's naturalization papers, he listed Sabinov, Austria as his birthplace. However, his wife and children were born in the town of Slavatin (sp) which from all the stories I've heard through the years, is in Bohemia. That either suggests that at some time he moved westward from Slovak Republic or, the town that was listed on the paperwork is the incorrect spelling and it is actually in Bohemia.
      At this point, I'm not sure where to go. I live in Cairo, Egypt and won't be able to access the FHC's until the summer.
      On Fri, 07 January 2000, Maura Petzolt wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Now here's the thing.... I have a Jankovich family member who married a
      > Soltese, or is it she was a Soltese and then married into the family on
      > her second marriage? It's a branch I haven't gotten a good handle on
      > yet.
      >
      > My mother's cousin Stephan GREGA who came here from Sabinov in 1947 and
      > died in 1970's, his mother was Maria SOLTESE and is buried in Sabinov.
      > Where it gets fuzzy is that she married twice, so I am not sure if
      > Soltese is her true maiden name or if that was her first husband.
      > GIRGASH is involved in this whole thing too.
      >
      > In any case, when I thought SOLTESE was going to be a major interest for
      > me, I did a lot of noticing them in the records. They are all over those
      > Sabinov records.
      >
      > I also had the friend who was in the Peace Corps near Sabinov and who
      > had been helping me with research there, take photos of the Soltese's
      > graves which are in the cemetery there around my Jankovich, Girgash etc
      > ones. I just pulled out the photos and here is what I have.....
      >
      > Peter Soltes a manzelka (and wife) Maria
      > (no date on that one, but it's a newer fancier one)
      >
      > Stefan Soltese 10 Sept 1862
      >
      > double grave, new headstone, obviously not done at time of deaths
      > Zofia Soltesova
      > Juarj Soltese
      >
      > The cemetery records are not filmed and getting information involved
      > some (ahem) monetary exchanges with the caretaker, if you get my drift.
      >
      > A disturbing issue in that cemetery is that there is no "perpetual
      > care", so when the living family is unable, or unavailable to pay every
      > 10 years or so, to keep the grave up, then they can resell the plot.
      > This happened unfortunately when my friend went to find the grave of my
      > great-grandfather, with a photo of the huge granite cross headstone. He
      > then informed me that in 1993, when no family could be contacted and
      > those still in Sabinov couldn't afford it, my great grandfather was dug
      > up, stone destroyed, and his bones buried deeper in the plot, which was
      > then resold to another family. They have a big granite slab there now,
      > they haven't buried anyone there yet. Needless to say I was extremely
      > upset and, well I really can't even describe how I feel. I did have
      > someone contact the current owners to try and buy it back but they
      > refused. I then had my friend go through the books to see if any other
      > family plots were in danger of this, and one, that of my gr/gr/uncle who
      > was the head priest there, was up for sale soon. I immediately paid the
      > fee, only about $35 US for 10 years, and saved that from being sold.
      > That grave is in horrible condition, (most in the cemetery are covered
      > with a solid granite slab close to the ground with a large marble marker
      > headstone) and I can't afford to fix it, but at least his "eternal rest
      > " is not going to be disturbed.
      >
      > In any case, maybe there is some connection with this Soltese family in

      Judy Whitaker
      Cairo, Egypt
      Lawhon, Boisseau, Davie, Thomas, Starry, and
      associated families

    • Joan Hendershot
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2000
        Hi Martha:

        A Catharina Feczko in my family line married a Petrus Soltesz from Lemes.
        Petrus was born in 1815 and had sons Joannes and Andreas and a daughter
        Susannah.

        Could these be part of your Soltesz line?

        Joan
      • MarthaSol@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2000
          Back to Soltis or Soltiss in Sabinov. Grandfathers name was Estvan
          (Stephen?) Soltesz or Soltiss, B-Aug.1866 at Kis Szeben Saros Megye.D-July
          1924 at Sabinov or Szeben, whatever it was called then. Mar.1894 to Veronika
          Kubenyek,B-4-Feb-1872, D-12-Aug-1948. also at Sabinov.
          Family made at least one trip to Lorain,Ohio where Estvan worked as a stone
          mason on churches.
          Children were; Julius Edward B 19-May-1895, D 8-Ap-1973, New York City. He
          was the one that changed the spelling several times. (My Father inlaw).
          Anna,Died early. Sabinov
          Anton (Tony),Stayed in Sabinov through WW2 and was there abt 20 yrs ago when
          visited.
          Meklos (known as Frank) Died abt 10 years ago in NJ.
          Janos (John) Died in Florida abt 15 yrs ago. He and his wife were the ones
          that visited Sabinov several times. 1960-1970.
          The address she gave me 3 yrs ago was Anton Soltesz or Soltiss, Svermoya,
          Sabinov, Chekoslovakia.
          Martha Soltesz
        • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2000
            So there was someone with Soltese in Sabinov? Geez, now I'm more
            confused<g>

            Those births should be easy to find on the records. You can order the
            films and find them easily if you are close to a FHC. I'd volunteer to
            do it for you, but it would be about two weeks before I could (its end
            of quarter at school and a big work load). Of course, it would be awhile
            before you got the films anyway.

            About the current address, you could write a letter to that address,
            which is just the street and Sabinov, usually there is a postal code
            also but it could probably get there without it. Problem is if no one
            can read English in the family. I'd keep it simple, and enclose some
            photocopies of family snapshots and a family group sheet so they can
            recognize some names at least. I always do that when writing blind
            letters so people don't think you are scamming them, or you're an ax
            murderer or something. :) I've always gotten responses that way, even if
            it was to say "I'm not related but let me tell you about MY family".

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
            sabinov@...
            Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • MarthaSol@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2000
              Could have been but I have no info. before Estvan Soltesz (or Soltiss).
              B.Aug.1866.
              Thanks, Martha
            • MarthaSol@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2000
                Good idea about writing and photo. Yes, there are several FHC near. Their
                hours are limited but hope to go this week. I've found several other
                spellings. On my Father Inlaws' Naturalization certificate, dated
                1923,-Soltesz. Marriage cert. 1923,- Soltesz. My husbands' brothers' birth
                cert., 1924,- Scholtis. My Husbands' B.cert. 1927-Sholtiss.
                Abt WW2 ichanged back to Soltesz. .