Re: [S-R] Seeking a genealogist

  • Bratgirl54@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2004
      Dear Janet, I currently have a geneologist "Michael Sura" in Slovakia doing
      research for me and he is amazing and price is excellent. I'm not sure if he
      works in the area you are looking for, but I am sure he can connect your with
      someone if not him. His email address is:
      arusm@...

      Good Luck in your search

      Monica

      In a message dated 1/26/2004 6:38:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      kozlay@... writes:
      Does anyone know of a genealogist who works in central Slovakia, especially
      the Turiec area? I've hit some doozie brick walls and am ready to hand the
      job over to someone who can look for stuff not available online or on
      microfilm. I was directed to one, but she doesn't read or write English.

      Janet

      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
        Dear Monica,

        I know Michael well. Unfortunately that is why I am looking for someone
        else. I have not been able to get him to do anything for me with the
        exception of photographing a couple of documents he found. All I can get
        from him is that my research is "very difficult" and he is "busy, busy,
        busy." He kept insisting that he wanted to do it, but he never followed
        through. I've been waiting and coaxing him for two years. The only nice
        thing I can say is that he has never sent me a bill for the little he did,
        despite my willingness to pay him for his time. But he constantly
        complained about the Americans he worked for who didn't pay him!

        In addition, since he is located in Kosice, he is quite far from the area I
        need to look at, which is basically around Martin. I think it's going to
        take some leg work to locate the old records from the early 1800s and
        before.

        If my research weren't so "very difficult," I wouldn't need to find a
        genealogist in the area. The family I am seeking to document has not
        appeared in the many church records I have scoured, even though they were
        nobility and even though we have a lot of information about them, including
        many names and places. It is a puzzle.

        I was directed to one genealogist who said she'd like the job, but her
        preliminary work was no more than searching the same church records I have,
        and worst of all she doesn't read or write English.

        This present request, however, has given me a recommendation for another
        genealogist north of Bratislava and closer to the Martin area. He has also
        contacted me directly. I think I'll give him a try.

        Thanks for responding anyway. I am happy for you that Michael has been of
        help to you. I know he has a number of satisfied clients. I am just not one
        of them.

        Janet
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
          Vladimir Bohnic is an excellent choice.
          Bill Tarkulich

          > From: "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
          > Date: 2004/01/27 Tue AM 07:32:18 CST
          > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: RE: [S-R] Seeking a genealogist
          >
          > Dear Monica,
          >
          > I know Michael well. Unfortunately that is why I am looking for someone
          > else. I have not been able to get him to do anything for me with the
          > exception of photographing a couple of documents he found. All I can get
          > from him is that my research is "very difficult" and he is "busy, busy,
          > busy." He kept insisting that he wanted to do it, but he never followed
          > through. I've been waiting and coaxing him for two years. The only nice
          > thing I can say is that he has never sent me a bill for the little he did,
          > despite my willingness to pay him for his time. But he constantly
          > complained about the Americans he worked for who didn't pay him!
          >
          > In addition, since he is located in Kosice, he is quite far from the area I
          > need to look at, which is basically around Martin. I think it's going to
          > take some leg work to locate the old records from the early 1800s and
          > before.
          >
          > If my research weren't so "very difficult," I wouldn't need to find a
          > genealogist in the area. The family I am seeking to document has not
          > appeared in the many church records I have scoured, even though they were
          > nobility and even though we have a lot of information about them, including
          > many names and places. It is a puzzle.
          >
          > I was directed to one genealogist who said she'd like the job, but her
          > preliminary work was no more than searching the same church records I have,
          > and worst of all she doesn't read or write English.
          >
          > This present request, however, has given me a recommendation for another
          > genealogist north of Bratislava and closer to the Martin area. He has also
          > contacted me directly. I think I'll give him a try.
          >
          > Thanks for responding anyway. I am happy for you that Michael has been of
          > help to you. I know he has a number of satisfied clients. I am just not one
          > of them.
          >
          > Janet

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
            I second that Bill -- Janet, give Vladimir a try, I bet he won't drop the ball.

            Caye

            Vladimir Bohnic is an excellent choice.
            Bill Tarkulich

            > From: "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
            > Date: 2004/01/27 Tue AM 07:32:18 CST
            > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: RE: [S-R] Seeking a genealogist
            >
            > Dear Monica,
            >
            > I know Michael well. Unfortunately that is why I am looking for someone
            > else. I have not been able to get him to do anything for me with the
            > exception of photographing a couple of documents he found. All I can get
            > from him is that my research is "very difficult" and he is "busy, busy,
            > busy." He kept insisting that he wanted to do it, but he never followed
            > through. I've been waiting and coaxing him for two years. The only nice
            > thing I can say is that he has never sent me a bill for the little he did,
            > despite my willingness to pay him for his time. But he constantly
            > complained about the Americans he worked for who didn't pay him!
            >
            > In addition, since he is located in Kosice, he is quite far from the area I
            > need to look at, which is basically around Martin. I think it's going to
            > take some leg work to locate the old records from the early 1800s and
            > before.
            >
            > If my research weren't so "very difficult," I wouldn't need to find a
            > genealogist in the area. The family I am seeking to document has not
            > appeared in the many church records I have scoured, even though they were
            > nobility and even though we have a lot of information about them, including
            > many names and places. It is a puzzle.
            >
            > I was directed to one genealogist who said she'd like the job, but her
            > preliminary work was no more than searching the same church records I have,
            > and worst of all she doesn't read or write English.
            >
            > This present request, however, has given me a recommendation for another
            > genealogist north of Bratislava and closer to the Martin area. He has also
            > contacted me directly. I think I'll give him a try.
            >
            > Thanks for responding anyway. I am happy for you that Michael has been of
            > help to you. I know he has a number of satisfied clients. I am just not one
            > of them.
            >
            > Janet

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
              Thank you all who responded to my quest for a genealogist.

              I'm a little embarrassed about my reply to Monica. I didn't mean to have it
              go to the entire list because I don't like publicly badmouthing an
              individual. I am fully aware that Michael has many admirers and happy
              clients. I don't know why we had the difficulty we did.

              Thanks again. Janet
            • Bratgirl54@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
                Dear Janet, I'm so sorry for you misfortune with Michael. I wasn't aware.
                As you say, maybe it was because of the location of your ancestors hometown (I
                really don't know). I haven't seen Michael's work, other than I gave him some
                vague information on my great grandparents. With that and some relatives
                here in the US that I just rekindled relations with, I was able to convey what I
                knew about my father's family to him. He was able to track as far as my
                great-great-grandparents but is deadlock there in finding their papers, so I asked
                him to send me what he does have. During his search he kept in constant
                contact with me, and even emailed me pictures of second cousins in Brezina, who
                wanted to know about me. Then things got busy for him, as you stated, and he
                just got back to me from 2nd week in December and is sending me 280 pictures of
                relatives and documents and story. I asked him to stop search and give me what
                he has. If I choose, I will have him finish gg-grandparents search. So
                right now, I am satisfied. I will let you know more when I see his work first
                hand. Michael mentions his parents have been seriously ill.
                I would like to know the geneologist referred to you most recently. I have
                ancestors in Stara Tura and am wondering if the person you recently been
                referred to does research there. I am having a very difficult time finding my
                mother's side of family. I do have photographs of my mother's hometown, cemetary
                plots with her family surnames, but would love to get records.
                Let me know how your search turns out. I hope this other geneologist is
                successful to you. I too, may have relative of importance in STara Tura. I
                have a pic of a memorial that has my mother's surname. This gent died at the age
                of 75 (feet, hands cut off) and thrown into the fire protecting the treasury
                during the revolution. Jan Pottfay is his name.
                Again, much luck to you.

                Monica

              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 27, 2004
                  Janet,
                  Vladimir Bohinc does very good work and is very knowledgeable.

                  http://www.konekta.sk/

                  Noreen

                • Bonnie Richards
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 28, 2004
                    Dear Janet,

                    Amazing the polarized perspectives, we can have. I am somewhat in the
                    middle about "Michael" who also came highly recommended. I thought that I
                    was very specific in my request of him. He merely confirmed my information
                    and sent a vague photocopy of the birth of my forebear. Claiming later that
                    he had done so much work for me and had sent pictures of my family's
                    village, which I did not request nor did I receive. His dialogue was much
                    like that which you reported. Perhaps he selectively thinks certain
                    correspondents are "wealthy Americans" and that my $200.00 would be
                    nothing. I would have gladly sent it if he had provided something in line
                    with my request. Sorry you also had an unfortunate exchange. Please let me
                    know if you find someone who is more specific with their fees. My villages
                    are in Veszprem,Tes and Szilvasujfalu.

                    Aloha,
                    Valerie Richards

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 28, 2004
                      Peter Nagy is also excellent
                      http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/

                      ______________
                      Bill Tarkulich

                      > I know Michael well. Unfortunately that is why I am looking for
                      > someone else. I have not been able to get him to do anything for me
                      > with the exception of photographing a couple of documents he found.
                      > All I can get from him is that my research is "very difficult" and he
                      > is "busy, busy, busy." He kept insisting that he wanted to do it, but
                      > he never followed through. I've been waiting and coaxing him for two
                      > years. The only nice thing I can say is that he has never sent me a
                      > bill for the little he did, despite my willingness to pay him for his
                      > time. But he constantly complained about the Americans he worked for
                      > who didn't pay him!
                      >
                      > In addition, since he is located in Kosice, he is quite far from the
                      > area
                      > need to look at, which is basically around Martin. I think it's going
                      > to take some leg work to locate the old records from the early 1800s
                      > and before.
                      >
                      > If my research weren't so "very difficult," I wouldn't need to find a
                      > genealogist in the area. The family I am seeking to document has not
                      > appeared in the many church records I have scoured, even though they
                      > were nobility and even though we have a lot of information about them,
                      including
                      > many names and places. It is a puzzle.
                      >
                      > I was directed to one genealogist who said she'd like the job, but her
                      > preliminary work was no more than searching the same church records I
                      have,
                      > and worst of all she doesn't read or write English.
                      >
                      > This present request, however, has given me a recommendation for
                      > another genealogist north of Bratislava and closer to the Martin area.
                      > He has
                      also
                      > contacted me directly. I think I'll give him a try.
                      >
                      > Thanks for responding anyway. I am happy for you that Michael has been
                      > of help to you. I know he has a number of satisfied clients. I am just
                      > not
                      one

                      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM