Virus warning.....

  • Diane T
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2004
      Hi Listers,

      I received this E-zine today, and wanted to share this....to
      prevent someone from picking up a virus.

      Diane T.
      mzplum_2000@...

      WARNING to Genealogy Researchers!
      (From Robert Ragan's TREASURE MAPS Genealogy E-zine)

      This topic has been mentioned in past issues,
      but you won't believe this one...

      The viruses that are attached to e-mail
      messages are getting more deceptive than ever. This
      message is dangerous because it is compelling to
      genealogy researchers. The attachment was named

      'hills.com'

      BUT... this was no link to a Web site; it was a
      link to a nasty virus-in-waiting. Here it is:

      >SUBJECT: She began her sojourn on this earth.
      >Born as Ruth McCoury to Scotch-English parents,
      >she was baptized as an infant in the Southern
      >Presbyterian Church. She remembers with fondness
      >her parents as being good, devout people. The
      >family moved...(continues)

      This is very deceptive and is becoming common
      of most viruses that come with these 'strange' e-mail
      messages. The person who receives it goes,
      'Hmmm....I wonder what this is' and clicks on it.

      If I had clicked on this attachment (which looked
      like a link to a site) it would have unleashed the virus on
      my computer. However, I knew that it was a virus and
      deleted it, so there was no harm done, but I know that
      many people would fall for this one (I had to think about
      it myself).

      There is an article that I wrote that tells about these
      viruses, but more important, shows you where you can
      do a free virus scan on-line and find and delete any of
      these pesky attachments. Even if you have virus
      protection software, unless you updated it often, it may
      miss some of the latest viruses.

      Don't be scared and stop using your e-mail for
      genealogy research. Be careful and be educated.

      PLEASE read and print this article. It may be a big help
      to you:

      http://amberskyline.com/freescan/