Re: chlapecka

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Boyd A. House"
      <brer_rabbit03@y...> wrote:
      > can anyone tell me if "chlapecka" is a slovak name and if so could
      you lead me in the direction of looking there past up it is my
      mothers side of the family thank you

      > Awaiting your responce
      >
      > brer_rabbit2k3

      Dear králik,

      The surnames Chlapecek and Chlapec^ka do exist in Slovakia.

      The letter "Ch" comes after the letter H in the Slovak alphabet.
      This is different from the diacritic letter c^ which is pron. ch.

      Chlapec means a boy, young man.

      The surname affix -ek is a diminutive form indicating small size,
      hence
      Chlapecek probably means 'very small boy'.

      The surnames Chlapecka who emigrated to US seem to be from Turá
      Lúka
      (Sk) Túrréte (H) which is located 45 miles NNE of Bratislava,
      Slovakia.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname
      Chlapec^ka under Turá Lúka and 1 under Bratislava.