RE: [S-R] Sending mail

  • Bill Tarkulich (1)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2004
      Use an International Reply Coupon. I have used them for the past five
      years.
      I ounce airmail costs US$.080. IRC's are about US$1.10. Pays for 1 ounce
      airmail in any currency. Works just fine in Slovakia Post Office, even the
      small ones.
      I stopped sending money, even a couple of US$. It seems that money smells.
      I have never had a letter with currency in it make it through. Maybe it's
      just the regions I write to, but why take a chance?

      Q: What are International Reply Coupons?

      A: This is an international convention, whereby you can go into any
      participating post office in the world and get a voucher (IRC) for about US
      $1.10 which may be redeemed by the recipient for air mail reply postage for
      that country. This is another important courtesy: Why should they pay money
      to reply to an unsolicited letter. The people are very open and very
      friendly as a whole, but you too must demonstrate your sincerity.

      Your letter should be no more than two pages in length (my rule of thumb.)
      There will always be time for more correspondence later. Encourage them to
      write back in Slovak, Rusyn, Ukraine or whatever. You can get it translated.
      Not worth the risk of no reply.

      Sadly, some people didn't who didn't reply (whom I met personally when I
      traveled there) were illiterate and too embarrassed to ask someone to write
      on their behalf.

      See the US Postal Service site for a Q&A.
      source: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/blind_letters.htm

      Bill Tarkulich