KALAFUT Family in Zdiar

  • Molly
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2004
      Greetings!

      I'm looking for names/dates about the KALAFUT family in Zdiar/Zsdjar,
      particularly Andreas Kalafut and his wife's parents and siblings.

      Andreas/Andrew KALAFUT (b. 1863) and his wife Katrina/Catherine (b.
      1863). They lived in Zdiar, Slovakia, formerly known as Zsdjar,
      Szepes, Hungary. They married about 1886. Andreas emigrated from
      Zdiar 16 Apr 1895 and Katrina emigrated 21 Oct 1897 on the S. S.
      Saale. They brought their children Felix (b. 1886), Matus/Matthew
      (b.1890), Paul W. (b. 1893), Jacob/John (b. 1894). The family settled
      in Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, and several of the children
      later moved to Michigan.

      I don't know Andreas or Katrina's parents or siblings names, nor if
      any of them came to the US.

      I've found their Passenger List information for their trip over here,
      1900 censuses and onwards, and a few of the children's SSDI listings.
      I'll read through this list's archives to learn about tracking down
      birth records before pestering everybody with questions about that.
      In the meantime, if anyone can direct me towards helpful information,
      I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

      Molly
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2004
        At 09:02 PM 1/23/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >Greetings!
        >
        >I'm looking for names/dates about the KALAFUT family in Zdiar/Zsdjar,
        >particularly Andreas Kalafut and his wife's parents and siblings.
        >
        >Andreas/Andrew KALAFUT (b. 1863) and his wife Katrina/Catherine (b.
        >1863). They lived in Zdiar, Slovakia, formerly known as Zsdjar,
        >Szepes, Hungary. They married about 1886. Andreas emigrated from
        >Zdiar 16 Apr 1895 and Katrina emigrated 21 Oct 1897 on the S. S.
        >Saale. They brought their children Felix (b. 1886), Matus/Matthew
        >(b.1890), Paul W. (b. 1893), Jacob/John (b. 1894). The family settled
        >in Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, and several of the children
        >later moved to Michigan.
        >
        >I don't know Andreas or Katrina's parents or siblings names, nor if
        >any of them came to the US.

        You can find the LDS film numbers for Zdiar at:

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C0%2C0&titleno=653113&disp=Cirkevn%C3%A1+matrika++

        Cirkevná matrika, 1741-1949 Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Ždiar
        (Kežmarok)

        John M.
      • Molly
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 27, 2004
          Thanks for the help! I haven't delved into microfilm yet, so I
          suppose this is a good time to start and figure out how it works!

          I made progress by accident - in re-checking death info for a great-
          granduncle it lists his mother Katrina KALAFUT's maiden name as
          OLEKSAK. I can't be certain of the spelling yet but it's a good start
          and exciting!

          Molly