Magyarisms

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2000
      I have reached a point in the Opina records, beginning in the early 1840's,
      where certain abbreviations are used to describe the social status of the
      parents and sponsors of the baptised child. It looks like a "ko:z." is
      different than a "po'r" for some reason. I can't find words that look
      particularly like either one, unfortunately. Since this is the point in
      time where the Hungarian language is being used to define social states that
      include true peasantry, I hope someone can help me decipher these words.

      After 1848, it looks like other words are used. My own hunch is that a
      "ko:z." is short for the longer abbreviation of "ko"zseg", meaning villager.
      If that is true, should we assume that the villager was a true peasant, and
      if so what was the po'r? A renter or tenant farmer? After 1848 or so, the
      word "sedlak" appears. Does this mean yeoman farmer, or tenant?

      Thanks for your help. If the people who wrote these baffling remarks were
      not already dead, they would be in big trouble...

      Andrea