Re: Counties

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
      You start by finding the birth (or whatever) records you have info on
      already, and then work backwards when you find parents names, go to
      their marriages to find their parents names etc.

      That's how I worked the Sabinov films starting with known birth records
      in the 1860-1880's. I have them back to 1700 with some isolated notes in
      the 1600's that I am working to piece together on the people involved.

      Anything 1900 or after is considered private and you have to request the
      record via the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Washington DC. I
      haven't done that myself, but have the form here somewhere. I think they
      charge $15 US for each record.

      Sabinov films go to 1890-1895 depending on the sacrament. They cut off a
      bit early because I think the rest are in the book that includes 1900
      entries (my theory only). Still, you should be able to do really well
      with the set of films. Order the latest and work backwards.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
        In a message dated 01/06/2000 4:27:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        mmarkotan@... writes:

        > Marlene Markotan
        >
        > Researching: Markotan, Hornick/Hornak, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
        > Kolenkas
        BTW Marlene my Grandfather's (AndrejAmbrisko) first wife was Maria,(Mary)
        Kovach!

        Maria Kovach was his first Wife, her Father John Kovach(mother Annie) (born
        in Burkowitz, Austria) was my Grandfathers Sponsor to come to the USA he
        immigrated on 2-4-1898 on the SS Havel. Andrej & Maria married on 11-19-1898
        in Ansonia Conn. @ St Peters and Paul Church, They settled in 89 Jersey St,
        Ansonia, Conn. she then had a baby Marion on 8-31-1899. Maria Kovach
        Ambrisko died 13 days after giving birth. per the 1900 Census Andrej and
        little Marion lived with the Kovach's @ 15 Clifton Ave in Ansonia, Ct as a
        boarder

        1st wife Mary Kovach(b. 9-1877, Burkowitz, Austria d.9-12-1899 in
        Ansonia, Ct)
        Father :John Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
        Mother: Annie Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
        Married: Andrej AMBRISKO on 11-19-1898, Peter & Paul Church, Ansonia, Ct.
        1 child Mary(Marion) E. Ambrisko (b. 8-31-1899 Ansonia Ct d.1975)
        m. George Brennan of Derby CT(b.1896 d. 1969 )
        Children:
        George Brennan (Sonny) b.
        m. Marge
        Mary Ellen (Miller)(b. )
        Danny (b. )
        Micheal (b. )
        Marion Brennan b.
        m.Jack Norris Palm Coast, Fl
        3 Children?
      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
          I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....

          evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
          location Slovakia.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
            I think they are getting caught up with their Slovak records. For example,
            there was no information on Liptovska Porubka when I checked last year, but
            it showed up a few months ago. So we can hope for further improvements!

            > I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....
            >
            > evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
            > location Slovakia.
            >
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
            > sabinov@...
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          • sandraljanu
            Message 5 of 16 , May 25, 2012
              I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/varmegy.gif

                I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                  Cool map Michael - it shows Ung County - in Slovak it is Uz~ i have been to those villages and was told at one time there was a road to Slovakia not closed off as it is now with the only border crossing at Uzhorod.

                  helene