Re: [S-R] Surnames: BALOGH, MITRO, ZAMBA, WARGUSKA, CSARNY, SEMAN, MAGYORAN,

  • Alyssa Eppich
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
      Michele,
      It's possible! In my research, I have found Maczko(Magyar spelling)
      spelled in various ways. In Slovakia, it is most usually spelled Macko or
      Maco, with a hacek over the c. In records from this side of the pond, I have
      seen it spelled Matsko, Mazko etc. It sure makes research fun.
      Mary Arendacs married my ggf around 1899(unsure of date because I have
      not personally been able to look at the marriage certificate at St. Mary's).
      My ggf had siblings, some of which came over in 1888/89 with him and his
      family. However, from what I can tell, several of them went back to the old
      country. Most of the information we have is from the death certificate of
      their oldest child, from letters written by friends and a nephew to my ggf
      in 1951 and from his Austrian military records, which confirmed the village.
      I'm still working on the family connections though!
      I have to find the original ship manifest to confirm the names of my ggf's
      Alyssa

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
        Alyssa - what village were your Orendas/Arendas relatives from? There is a Murcko family here in SharonPA who had Orendas/Arendas ancestors in Ujak/Udal near Plavnica in Saris county

        Alyssa Eppich <eppicha@...> wrote:
        Noreen,
        thank you soooo much! this is a part of my research that I have been
        trying to accomplish for eighteen months, but because of distance, could
        not.
        The names are :
        John Maczko dod 1951
        Mary (Orendas/Arendacs) Maczko dod 1934
        These are my ggps-both are said to be buried at St. Mary's in Saddle Brook

        Their oldest son, Emil Maczko, dod 1902, is buried at St. Peter's GC
        Cemetery.

        Yesterday's windchill here was anywhere from 30-40 below zero; however,
        the windchill atop Mt. Washington(1.5 hrs north) was 97 below! I, too, am
        from New Jersey and upstate New York, and boy, we never had anything that
        cold-talk to you soon-
        Alyssa

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
          Christopher,
          Although the Arendacs family emigrated from Presov and the Maczkos of my
          line from Velky SAris, I believe that the original lines came from
          Hajtovka(across the river from Plavnica I believe) and Maly Lipnik
          respectively, although I have not yet proved this. I did find a cousin of
          John Maczko, one Katarin Dembovsky from Lublo (present day Stara Lubovna),
          who came with her cousin Josefine Arendas from Eperjes(Presov) to visit her
          brother -in-law -my ggf- in Passaic NJ. It is this connection through
          Katarina Dembovsky that seems to support my assumption. I'm still working on
          it, but I think it might pan out in the end.

          Alyssa

          > Alyssa - what village were your Orendas/Arendas relatives from? There
          is a Murcko family here in SharonPA who had Orendas/Arendas ancestors in
          Ujak/Udal near Plavnica in Saris county

          > Alyssa Eppich <eppicha@...> wrote:
          > Noreen,
          > thank you soooo much! this is a part of my research that I have been
          > trying to accomplish for eighteen months, but because of distance, could
          > not.
          > The names are :
          > John Maczko dod 1951
          > Mary (Orendas/Arendacs) Maczko dod 1934
          > These are my ggps-both are said to be buried at St. Mary's in Saddle
          Brook

          > Their oldest son, Emil Maczko, dod 1902, is buried at St. Peter's GC
          > Cemetery.
          >
          > Yesterday's windchill here was anywhere from 30-40 below zero;
          however,
          > the windchill atop Mt. Washington(1.5 hrs north) was 97 below! I, too,
          am
          > from New Jersey and upstate New York, and boy, we never had anything
          that
          > cold-talk to you soon-
          > Alyssa

        • christopher gajda
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
            Alyssa -

            I could not find Hajtovka on my map; I did find a Hajluvky 1/2 mile from Ujak - is that what you meant? Just in case your family is from the same area, here are some links that might be of interest to you:

            http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/villages/udol.htm

            http://www.tccweb.org/udol.htm

            Alyssa Eppich <eppicha@...> wrote:
            Christopher,
            Although the Arendacs family emigrated from Presov and the Maczkos of my
            line from Velky SAris, I believe that the original lines came from
            Hajtovka(across the river from Plavnica I believe) and Maly Lipnik
            respectively, although I have not yet proved this. I did find a cousin of
            John Maczko, one Katarin Dembovsky from Lublo (present day Stara Lubovna),
            who came with her cousin Josefine Arendas from Eperjes(Presov) to visit her
            brother -in-law -my ggf- in Passaic NJ. It is this connection through
            Katarina Dembovsky that seems to support my assumption. I'm still working on
            it, but I think it might pan out in the end.

            Alyssa

            > Alyssa - what village were your Orendas/Arendas relatives from? There
            is a Murcko family here in SharonPA who had Orendas/Arendas ancestors in
            Ujak/Udal near Plavnica in Saris county

          • John M,
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
              At 07:38 PM 1/17/2004 -0800, you wrote:
              >Alyssa -
              >
              >I could not find Hajtovka on my map;

              It is about a mile NW of Plavnica.

              http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=search&countryid=213&addtohistory=&country=SK&city=hajtovka&submit=Get+Map

              John
            • christopher gajda
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
                this is the same location for my "Hajlovky" - "Hajlovky" must be either a missprint or alternate name for Hajtovka

                "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:At 07:38 PM 1/17/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                >Alyssa -
                >
                >I could not find Hajtovka on my map;

                It is about a mile NW of Plavnica.

                http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=search&countryid=213&addtohistory=&country=SK&city=hajtovka&submit=Get+Map

                John

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Michele Baker
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
                  John and Alyssa,
                  Thank you for variations in spelling. This will provide additional possibilities to search. I only have two documents that show my ggm's name/spelling. Her death certificate shows her father's name as MOSICH, which I have assumed is way off, and my grandmother's SS form has MATCKO. I haven't found entry records or their village of origin. Will keep searching and look for any connections.
                  Michele B.

                  > My family is also from Passaic. My grandmother, Anna Rosella SOPCHAK
                  (SOPCAK) was born there in 1890. Her parents were immigrants. Her mother
                  was Mary MATCKO (daughter of Michael), but I believe the last name is
                  misspelled. I wonder if it could be Maczko. Do you think there may be a
                  connection to your line?

                  > Michele

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 18, 2004
                    Dear Michele,
                    This first name Mosich may well be Moses, which would indicate the Jewish
                    ethnicity.
                    Jews had names like Latzko for example, which would give a Matzko as a
                    possible original spelling of what you have as Matcko. Latzko or Matzko is
                    the german way of spelling surnames that in english would be Latsko and
                    Matsko , just to produce the same pronunciation.
                    A non Jew, would never have a name Moses.
                    This name was written also in different ways like Mojzis, Mojshe,Mojses etc.
                    The Jews typically have used the German spellings and many of their first
                    names were also german.
                    Vladimir

                    > Thank you for variations in spelling. This will provide additional
                    possibilities to search. I only have two documents that show my ggm's
                    name/spelling. Her death certificate shows her father's name as MOSICH,
                    which I have assumed is way off, and my grandmother's SS form has MATCKO. I
                    haven't found entry records or their village of origin. Will keep searching
                    and look for any connections.
                    > Michele B.

                    Service.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    >

                    > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.593 (20040105) __________

                    > http://www.eset.sk

                  • Alyssa Eppich
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 18, 2004
                      Christopher,
                      Here is information on Hajtovka from tcc.web

                      http://www.tccweb.org/hajtovka.htm
                      I've been to the others too, and they contain lots of valuable
                      information.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 18, 2004
                        Dear Vladimir,
                        Sorry for the confusion. My gr grandmother's death certificate shows her father's name as Michael MOSICH. My grandmother's social security application (in my grandmother's handwriting) shows her mother's maiden name as MATCKO.

                        Thank you for your response.
                        Michele B.

                        > Thank you for variations in spelling. This will provide additional
                        possibilities to search. I only have two documents that show my ggm's
                        name/spelling. Her death certificate shows her father's name as MOSICH,
                        which I have assumed is way off, and my grandmother's SS form has MATCKO. I
                        haven't found entry records or their village of origin. Will keep searching
                        and look for any connections.
                        > Michele B.

                        Service.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links